Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: vauxhall corsa combo isuzi engine starting problems

  1. #1
    User

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DH9 (Durham)
    Posts
    4,100
    Drives
    MK3 ASTRA MR B
    Thanks
    49
    Likes
    1

    vauxhall corsa combo isuzi engine starting problems

    Changed the glow plugs (50 ouch) to see if it rectifys the cold start issue i have been having the last couple of days.

    I have been told if this fails it could be a non return valve failure. Now what is one of them when its at home and is it a big job to do?

  2. # ADS
    MK3OC Ads

    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    User
    Turboshed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oswestry, Shropshire
    Posts
    4,569
    Drives
    Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC
    Thanks
    78
    Likes
    23
    what exactly are your starting issues mate? and 50 sounds abit steep for glowplugs, ya can get decent ones from Motaquip for about 6 each though the dear ones are 12 a piece.
    Flat out or...... legless
    CB10 0.1.0 Checkered Garter snake - Io
    The Turboshed - now for sale 450 Click Here
    New car - Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC

  4. #3
    User

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DH9 (Durham)
    Posts
    4,100
    Drives
    MK3 ASTRA MR B
    Thanks
    49
    Likes
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    what exactly are your starting issues mate? and 50 sounds abit steep for glowplugs, ya can get decent ones from Motaquip for about 6 each though the dear ones are 12 a piece.
    The car was getting its MOT done so i got them to replace them and the plug was about 10 plus vat each.
    Cold starts the van wont start if left more than 6 hours. Takes a good two minutes of constant turning of the ignition to get it to fire up. In the process i have killed the battery and hurt my starter motor.

    I been told it could be some kind of return fuel valve failure and that could cause the starting issues?
    Van starts fine when warmed up.

  5. #4
    User
    paul.spencer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waiwhetu, New Zealand
    Posts
    575
    Drives
    1996 Astra X17DTL
    Thanks
    65
    Likes
    0
    Hey Micky,

    Just thought I should mention another possible cause of cold start problems on that engine is the valve shims. There's a TIS 2000 tech note that describes a cold start problem caused in the 1.7 Isuzu engine by too low comression. It says there is a "reduction of valve clearance caused by excessive seating of intake valves in the valve seat"...

    Cheers, Paul

  6. #5
    User

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DH9 (Durham)
    Posts
    4,100
    Drives
    MK3 ASTRA MR B
    Thanks
    49
    Likes
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    Hey Micky,

    Just thought I should mention another possible cause of cold start problems on that engine is the valve shims. There's a TIS 2000 tech note that describes a cold start problem caused in the 1.7 Isuzu engine by too low comression. It says there is a "reduction of valve clearance caused by excessive seating of intake valves in the valve seat"...

    Cheers, Paul
    Cheers paul thats what they said its all jargo n to me i just remember valve return and gapping of valves. They said its a time consuming job also.

  7. #6
    User
    paul.spencer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waiwhetu, New Zealand
    Posts
    575
    Drives
    1996 Astra X17DTL
    Thanks
    65
    Likes
    0
    Sounds like a lot of work but when this came up a few times not so long ago I think there were a couple of posts by people who had managed to complete the job fairly easily - do a search on here for "shims" and find out who did it.

    IIRC I think they removed the shims, had them machined for a couple of pounds each and all was good after refitting them....

  8. #7
    User
    Turboshed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oswestry, Shropshire
    Posts
    4,569
    Drives
    Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC
    Thanks
    78
    Likes
    23
    Top man Paul

    Tbh, I've not know these engines to have many problems, and easily do over 300k.
    But Paul is usually right. I would have said maybe issues with the stop solenoid on the pump, but it starts fine when warm it just cold starts being the issue
    Flat out or...... legless
    CB10 0.1.0 Checkered Garter snake - Io
    The Turboshed - now for sale 450 Click Here
    New car - Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC

  9. #8
    User
    paul.spencer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waiwhetu, New Zealand
    Posts
    575
    Drives
    1996 Astra X17DTL
    Thanks
    65
    Likes
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    Top man Paul

    Tbh, I've not know these engines to have many problems, and easily do over 300k.
    But Paul is usually right. I would have said maybe issues with the stop solenoid on the pump, but it starts fine when warm it just cold starts being the issue
    LOL, nah just repeating stuff I heard on here. I guess I'm just somewhat obsessed with these diesel engines, both the GM (like mine) and Isuzu...

  10. #9
    User
    Turboshed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oswestry, Shropshire
    Posts
    4,569
    Drives
    Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC
    Thanks
    78
    Likes
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    LOL, nah just repeating stuff I heard on here. I guess I'm just somewhat obsessed with these diesel engines, both the GM (like mine) and Isuzu...
    Lol, its the MPG's (K/litre) that you like i think Paul.


    As to the starting issue, I am not convinced it is low compression that is causing the poor coldstarts, as there will be less compression when hot, yet it starts fine. Also how long are you actually leaving it after the glow plug light has gone out?
    Flat out or...... legless
    CB10 0.1.0 Checkered Garter snake - Io
    The Turboshed - now for sale 450 Click Here
    New car - Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC

  11. #10
    User
    paul.spencer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waiwhetu, New Zealand
    Posts
    575
    Drives
    1996 Astra X17DTL
    Thanks
    65
    Likes
    0
    Hey, this may sound stupid but rereading the thread from the beginning I was just wondering it could be as simple as that common problem of air leaking into the fuel filter on standing - you know, it then requires heaps of cranking to get it going. Warm starts easier because fuel filter is not yet full of air again.

    Just sounded a bit like that kind of problem people have described. You didn't happen to check or change the fuel filter before this problem showed up did you? Might be worth checking the fuel filter (and maybe just install a new one), particularly after standing several hours or overnight. See if it is completly fuel of fuel as it should be. Don't give me a hard time - I just reckon it would be good to rule out an air leak problem before getting into more expensive...

    (And you are absolutely right there Turboshed, my old Astra is by far the cheaper car to run at this point which means a lot to me!)

  12. #11
    User
    Turboshed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oswestry, Shropshire
    Posts
    4,569
    Drives
    Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC
    Thanks
    78
    Likes
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    Hey, this may sound stupid but rereading the thread from the beginning I was just wondering it could be as simple as that common problem of air leaking into the fuel filter on standing - you know, it then requires heaps of cranking to get it going. Warm starts easier because fuel filter is not yet full of air again.

    Just sounded a bit like that kind of problem people have described. You didn't happen to check or change the fuel filter before this problem showed up did you? Might be worth checking the fuel filter (and maybe just install a new one), particularly after standing several hours or overnight. See if it is completly fuel of fuel as it should be. Don't give me a hard time - I just reckon it would be good to rule out an air leak problem before getting into more expensive...

    (And you are absolutely right there Turboshed, my old Astra is by far the cheaper car to run at this point which means a lot to me!)
    That's a good point actually Paul, one I didnt think of, cracked housing or damaged seals on the diesel filter, that would cause bad starts as it needs to draw more fuel into to displace the air. As suggested, replace the filter and see it that cures it. Also check your fuel system for any leaks or splits in the pipes as that would let air in and so cause problems.

    Haha, its all about cheapness eh Paul, gotta love it . Mate of mine runs a Commodore VY (5.7L V8) and he gets 100km to 13 litres i think. works out about 22mpg here. recently myself did a few longer trips and got a healthy 52.6 mpg (estimated) which is still good for an old car
    Last edited by Turboshed; 17-6-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Flat out or...... legless
    CB10 0.1.0 Checkered Garter snake - Io
    The Turboshed - now for sale 450 Click Here
    New car - Honda Accord SE 2.0 VTEC

  13. #12
    Club Members
    big e's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Withernsea/Leeds
    Posts
    10,343
    Drives
    5dr Astra LET, Zafira 1.6 club daily.
    Thanks
    180
    Likes
    65
    Have you tryed changing the glow plug relay?..

  14. #13
    User
    paul.spencer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waiwhetu, New Zealand
    Posts
    575
    Drives
    1996 Astra X17DTL
    Thanks
    65
    Likes
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by big e View Post
    Have you tryed changing the glow plug relay?..
    that's a good point too big e. never asked about glow plug indicator light or maybe putting a meter on the line to the glow plugs...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •