Thread: Front Drivers Wing Removal

User

Drives
    2002 '51' Pug 206 1.4 LX
    Thanks

Front Drivers Wing Removal

Need info on this as I cant seem to find any wing removal stuff in my haynes manual, if its even in there.

I know theres wing bolts along the top when you open the bonnet, and 1 bolt inside the car when you take the drivers sill panel plastic off, and 1 behind the front bumper. anywhere else though??

secondly, do I need to take my wheel off to get to any bolts as my locking bolts are seized atm till I have my car taken to vauxhall and repaired.
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Scotland's West Coast Cruise Scene

2. # ADS
    MK3OC Ads

Club Members

Drives
    SA 160iE
    Thanks
    I took the wings off my donor car with out taking off the wheel.

Now there's one bolt at the bottom, then one bolt at the top (open the door to see it), two that hold at the bumper (peel back the wheel arch liner so far to get at it, watch as its a bitch to do) and the one inside the engine bay. Oh and unclip the rest of the wheel arch liner from the rest of the wing.
    MBAstraworx Lowering the tone and ride heights since 2003

User

Drives
    2002 '51' Pug 206 1.4 LX
    Thanks
    cheers John! aye I got it off only took me the 2 hours

the bolts that hold the bumper on at the side that need removing are a pain in the ass, probly spent 45mins on them alone, rest was easy peasy for me and I know jack 5hit about cars. had to jack it up go underneath and undo the bumper bolts to free the bumper side to get access to the last wing bolt.

wee guide for others trying it.

1. remove bolt at the top which is visible when the front door is open
    2. open bonnet and remove all wing bolts here, 5 or 6 of them, dead easy.
    3. remove bolt at bottom of wing on outside of car, under the sill near where the front jacking point is,
    4. remove grille, headlight, indicator and side repeater and unbolt the 2 bolts holding the arch liner at the side of the front bumper. pull it free a bit,
    5. jack car up, or put it on axle stands. remove wheel if you want, then remove the 2 bumper bolts holding the bumper on at the sides, (these are really the only difficult bit.)
    6. pull the bumper free at the sides a bit to gain access to the last wing bolt.

voila!!!
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Scotland's West Coast Cruise Scene

User

Drives
    Astra GSi & Astra G Coupe Cabriolet
    Thanks
    Hendry

Great guide I used that and managed to get a wing off and a new one on it 2 hours!

Only part I got stuck was front grill if you look along the top there are some little clips,push down lightly with a flat bladed screwdriver and they will pop out,then the bottom will follow and don,t forget the clips near the headlights!

Now got to stick the side skit back on as I broke all the clips :-(

User

Drives
    Mk4 Astra 1.6 16v Club
    Thanks
    I just swapped my drivers wing for another one, the hardest part i found was getting the grill off, i couldnt do it. The one bolt next to the headlight was a **** to remove, and couldnt get it back in when finished, so i used cable ties to hold it together.

Also broke a fixing on the bottom of the headlight so now it isnt fastened at the bottom, think i'll need to replace it when it can.

Apart from that the wing looks better now it doesnt have a dent in it lol!

Will be out this weekend polishing the car cos the wing is the only clean bit at the moment.

What do ppl reckon, remove the bump strips or leave them on? I think it looks better with them.....................

User

Drives
    2001 Audi S3
    Thanks
    leave them on, it breaks up the white.

Thread Information