Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the new forums. You can log in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems please drop us an e-mail at admin@mk3oc.com.

In-hose thermostat to avoid replacement?!

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Electrical' started by alban, Nov 11, 2008.

1. alban

alban

Hi
    Have '92 1.4 Astra F NZ engine banger which has a stuck open thermo (runs v cool). It's getting cold and heating sucks. Performance prob not helped either. Replacement (in Haynes) seems a big job for an unhealthy novice. How about putting a Renault 5 'in top hose' thermo in as a work-round? It's secured by a jubilee clip! Any likely probs? Opening temp. differences not too much of a problem?
    Strikes horror in the hearts of the purists I know.

Mr Lazy signing off.

2. eliters

eliters

Car:
    300bhp astra gsi turbo:)
    depenfd how much toom there is in top hose,youd have no chance in my let,its tiny,but other than that cant see any probs?

3. Lefthooker

Lefthooker

Car:
    Astra F GSI - C20NE
    I dont think it is going to work.
    The thermostat acts like a "tap", when open or closed it regulates the waterflow to the small and large cooling circuit. If you stick a thermostat inline in the hose somewhere, yes, it will open and close according to temp, but it wont change the cooling flow, this will still stay stuck becasue of the broken thermostat still fitted.
    I hope you understand what I mean :)

Edit .. I believe your thermostat sits ported to the front of the engine. A thermostat change in this case takes 5 minutes.
    All you need is a new thermostat + gasket, a container to catch overflow fluid, and some coolant to put back in afterwards. Tools needed, 1 flat screwdriver to remove the jubilee clip on the hose, and an 8mm (or 10mm?) socket. Thats it :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. danh

danh

Car:
    1.8 Mk4 Coupe
    what left hooker said is all very true but just to throw the spanner in the works,
    iirc to remove the thermostat are you not supposed to remove the cambelt cover to gain access to the bolts holding it in place ?

5. Lefthooker

Lefthooker

Car:
    Astra F GSI - C20NE
    Danh ,, i edited my post :)

There are 2 types of Thermostat housing .. the one under the cam belt cover is usually found in elder C12NZ engines ,,, for some reason, the 14NZs seem to be ported to the front :)

6. danh

danh

Car:
    1.8 Mk4 Coupe
    ill shut up then lol

7. Lefthooker

Lefthooker

Car:
    Astra F GSI - C20NE
    no no .. :) You were right in bringing this up, , you were just quicker than my edit :)

8. alban

alban

But Haynes says thermo is behind cambelt!

Thanks Guys
    Haynes 91-96 definitely says Mk3 C14NZ (SOHC) thermo is behind cambelt requiring removal of all sorts to get at it. Is the German model different perhaps? That's why I shied away from the job and came up with this jolly good wheeze (or so I thought!). Is Haynes wrong about this then? I shall check under the bonnet but I'm not sure I'd recognise a thermo stuck on elsewhere.
    As for mucking up the flow - current thermo is stuck open so just stopping it getting to the rad until hotter is worthwhile, tho not perfect?

9. Lefthooker

Lefthooker

Car:
    Astra F GSI - C20NE
    hmm, take a peek uunder the bonnet ,, if you see the thermostat sticking out the front your in business. If you dont see the bit i marked on the pic, then it is under the cam belt cover

10. Aber-Astra

Aber-Astra

Car:
    Seat Cordoba GTi
    well my bay looks like the one in the picture yet i had to remove all the cambelt to change my thermostat still

EDIT: my engine is C14NZ and the stat is in the side of the block, what you have marked is only the housing

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  11. Lefthooker

Lefthooker

Car:
    Astra F GSI - C20NE
    not ported out to the front ... seems to be a bit of a play lucky game with this.

12. Aber-Astra

Aber-Astra

Car:
    Seat Cordoba GTi
    well from what i understand there are 2 types of thermostat that are postioned differently, the one you're referring to is supposed to be real easy to change, unfortunately i have only had this one to deal with.

could it possibly have been on the older ph1 Astras? as i think mine is still in the changeover period

13. Brad35

Brad35

Hope this helps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. alban

alban

Ta again guys - all helpful about what is a crazy (but nevertheless, cunning) plan. (Not my own - gleaned from Preloved - the cheapskates paradise).
    I do think my car is the 'difficult to get at' type of thermo. (Brad - the pic is of that type I presume as cambelt removed?).
    So, if I can physically get it in, there should be no major problem with the 'in-top-hose' Renault 5 one? Just a bit concerned that the block will overheat. I'm desperate to combat hypothermia though.

15. Brad35

Brad35

Cambelt removed and back plate (rear cover). Where the thermostat housing is located you really dont want it leaking.

16. Lefthooker

Lefthooker

Car:
    Astra F GSI - C20NE
    Brad ,, nice pic ,, thats the difficult one to change. Then there is the housing where the thermostat sits on the front of the housing (where the pipe goes on ) and they are changed in 5 mins :)

17. jasovanooo

jasovanooo

Car:
    Astra mk3 cdx estate
    can you slide it out with the timing belt on?

i fso looks relatively easy imo

18. Brad35

Brad35

The 2 bolts are hidden behind the backplate. Its gotta come off.:hang:

[​IMG]

19. jasovanooo

jasovanooo

Car:
    Astra mk3 cdx estate
    gash design man

20. 16VSport

16VSport Guest

Not ideal, just bike the bullet and whip the belt off though, takes about 2 hours all in.