1.4 merit stalling

Reaction score
This is my first post so hi all...

Basicly i bought a 1.4 merit a few weeks ago within 2 days it cut out on me i had trouble starting it then it drove fine, Now nearly everytime i drive the car it will loose all power eml light comes on and the car slows then dies and i have to wait 5min for it to start again.
if i drive it like an old lady itl run ok but any speed over 25 - 30 ish same happens or if i put my foot down same happens, so im thinking its fuel related ?

i looked at the fuel pump eirlier and banged the top as the engines running the car died so im guessing this is the problem? ive checked the wires and hoses to the pump and all is fine.

also when the car is playing up it has a really bad flatspot on the revs and has no balls atall

and ideas would be apreciated

Reaction score
The fuel pumps are famous for getting loose connections on the pins in the actual connector to the pump, a simple two wire affair, so with a small screwdriver prise pins together a bit tighter.
This will sort that problem, BUT it is not the main problem as it will NOT generate a EML light, even if you disconnected it!!
I would look at the coolant temperature sensor wires, on the end of the head under the distributor/DIS pack, where the HT leads go to.
I would also have a look at the MAP sensor pipe as these somnetimes chafe through on the metal brake pipe nearby.
It sounds as though fuelling is going off, and this has a major impact upon fuelling as does the CTS, which is the MAIN corrective factor governing fuelling at all times.
I assume your engine is a 8V ?
tabetha

Reaction score
give the old girl a good servie new filters all round and see what happens

Reaction score
yeah mines an 8v, and a good service is top of my list with a good clean,
im just being careful about spending money out after i lost out on over 500 on my last car which i still can't sell.

im taking the car into work tomoro to get it looked over, as it's just cut out on me about 6 times going to the shops which are 2mins away (raining to hard to walk)

thanks tabetha for the advice although now im a bit more worried about what is causing the eml ill have a look once its stoped raining, i did check the wires when it first happend and all seems fine but double checking wont hurt, hopefully ive missed something obvious.

Reaction score
The thing is it may have more than 1 fault.
The stalling could just be the ISCV, needing a good clean, but it would not generate a fault code.
Fault codes can be more of a hinderance that useful sometimes, is the car AUTO, if so make sure the speedo works correctly, otherwise this will light EML, for example!!
tabetha

Reaction score
Try the paperclip test to shop up te EML fault code... I've got a pdf about how do do it and all the codes, I could email it to you if you like.
thanks for the offer but ive run a diagnostic on the car already with no codes,
ill be plugging it in to the computer at work tomoro hopefully as its a lot more advanced, it'l be the only time i want the car to go wrong so someone else can actually see what im talking about.

My cars a manual, and it drives perfect no flatspot the engines smooth and everything OR (and it doesnt matter on temperature how its been driven or anything) the car is veryslow i can put foot to the floor and it really struggles more then it should it gets jumpy as i slow down ect

also it doesnt matter if im accelerating, decellerating, idling braking ect the eml just comes on whenever, i loose all power sometimes it stays running the light goes off and drives okish or itl just slow down and stop and die not starting for a few mins,

just wondering aswell, the map sensor i think its called ( under the flap on the bulkhead) i was told if i unplug it the car shouldn't run but it does so will that have something to do with it? and after unplugging and putting back in the car drove for 10 miles without a problem

Last edited:
Reaction score
im guessing yours is and SPi, i think all SPi's (standard anyway) all have flat spots at low revs! like when your at the lights and you try to get away quick especially the car lik flutters at about 2-3000 revs but then kicks back in.

My cousin has had 2 SPi's and i now have 1 and they all do it!

Not dissing the SPi but i replaced it with the MPi for just £100 and my old SPi had 150k and my replacment MPi only has 80 odd k. Maybe think of doing this if the engine has serious problems.

Good luck, marc

Reaction score
yeah mines spi and ive been told by a few people that they have flat spots but with mine i can put my foot to the floor and count to 2 then then it'l rev up and if the engines running ok ther isn't a flat spot at all.

Reaction score
its on 127k ish and the only mods are cosmetic the engine is completly standard atm, none of the wiring has been played about with from the looks of it and it is fairly clean for the age.

Last edited:
Reaction score
could the flat spots be an indication then? or lack of

Reaction score
Even if it is a known problem, ie having flat spots on SPI, it is NOT acceptable .
From the further info given I would measure the TPS(output), VERY VERY slowly, and look for flat spots, as this WILL illuminate the EML, andcause it to do all you describe, if it senses NO throttle angle, it will cease fuelling output.
tabetha

Reaction score
the car ran fine this morning but died on me at work and unless i rev the nuts out when i start it, it just judders and stalls so hopefully this means i can find the problem easier as it's constant and not intermitant, on tomoros list im going to change fuel filter as it looks like it's never been changed and check the crankshaft sensor and anything else that comes to mind when i find the time.

and tabetha is tps abv for throttle position sensor? thanks

Reaction score
Problem solved

not been online for a while so quick update...

had a full diagnostic run which showed the map sensor was faulty, replaced with a newen from vauxhauls (£52) and same thing happend checked the conection to the sensor and the vaults were between 0-1 instead of 1-5 soo checked the plug which was pretty messed up .. rewired the 3 pins and touch wood problem solved ive now done 200 miles in 2 days without a fault.

thanks for the help people hopefully this will help someone else with the same problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)