1993 (Phase 1) 1.4i (No.33)

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on this one, as I'm actually intending to keep it for a while. It will, more than likely, end up as a 'rat' car. I know rats get mixed opinions, and as this is a Mk3 owners forum I'm fully expecting to get more negative responses than positive, but I have my reasons for doing it!

Anyway, I used to have petrol cars, but then I got hooked on diesels. So over the last few years I've only had diesel daily drivers, so I wasn't entirely sure how having a 1.4 petrol would go, but I'm actually really enjoying driving it!
I bought it as my 1995 Vauxhall Cavalier needed too much welding done, and my van (Vauxhall Movano) had just broken. I needed transport (with a tow bar) quickly, and this came up for £200:

It was pretty tidy, only bit of damage was to the rear wing near the fuel filler, and it had a couple of months MoT on it, so ticked the right boxes.

It went through its next MoT without any major issues (think it needed a couple of light bulbs), but the wishbone bushes were on there way out, so I replaced both the wishbones.

Unfortunately someone back a van into it, so its now got some damage to the front of it from their tail-lift, but its all cosmetic. I also had an altercation with a hedgerow, twice (two different ones), and have ended up having to replace wingmirrors, and also lost a side indicator lens, plus added scratches.

I nearly got stuck in mud quite regularly during the wet months, so I bought a pair of road-legal autograss-type tyres:

Because of what I carry in the car, the carpet got very wet and stunk, really badly. So I actually removed it the other day. Its a million time better now, and a lot easier to clean. I should have taken some 'before' photos to show how filthy it got! ...I've got some photos of after stripping it out somewhere.

The roof lining had the common sagging issue; I fixed it temporarily with drawing pins, then with wallpaper paste, but in the end it inflated like a balloon, and was full of holes anyway. The whole lot got ripped out and went in the bin!

I'll keep this updated, and hopefully won't get slated too much for 'destroying a retro classic'...

Last edited:

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
I think I'll go Camo this time, as far as the paintwork goes. I'm thinking a sparse interior, but I'll see how it goes. The main aim is to keep it mechanically sound, and keep the other bits basic and usable. You might see in one of the photos that the missing side indicator lens was replaced with a bottle cap, so its cheap fixes...

This was a previous rat:

Good old chalkboard paint, a real laugh!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

TMODAlpha

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with some cheap, fun transport that's rat look.

Good luck with it I say :)

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm actually finding this one quite fuel efficient as well, the 1.4 seems to have a bad rep, but on the last tank I managed to return 46.3mpg (435 miles on £55). Which has now bumped my average up to 39.6mpg (14.7p per mile).

I has just had new spark plugs, HT leads, oil filter and oil change. I've still got the fuel filter to do, and I've got to clean the air filter (one of the aftermarket things).

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
This was a previous 'repair' on the roof lining:

Its all out now, but I've got to stick some paint on the big galvanised sunroof unit!

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
I wish I had taken photos before I took the carpet out, just to show the amount of mud and other rubbish, but here aft the photos with the carpets out:

Its got the standard split rear seat, in that photo the bases had been taken out as I needed more room, but I have now put the single base back in, and removed the double back. So I've just got the one rear seat fitted. Ideally I'd like the single seat on the N/S, but I've not seen an Astra with seats the other way round.

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
With all due respect would not have been better off with a van?

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
As I had to cancel work today, I thought I'd fit one of the interior LED lights I bought off eBay. The original light is pants, and I don't like not being able to switch it off properly.

So I bought some cheapy LED ones off a Chinese company on eBay; one for the front, and two for the back (as I'm intending to tint the windows).

Needless to say, the Chinese have outdone themselves... Two don't work at all, and one has several blown LEDs! However, I thought I'd trial fit the latter one, while I await working replacements.

They are total tacky bling, but will be repainted anyway:

Before:

Bodging:

After:

Although looking at the LEDs when they're on, I'm not sure how bright they will actually be. But I guess I'll find out tonight.
When I've got the replacements, or at least a refund, I'll see if I can fix them, and paint the cases a less-tacky colour!

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)