Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Reaction score
Well, set to pick up my MK4 on wednesday, so thought I'd start with a thread here.

It's a 2001 2.0 DTi CD wth 84,000 miles on it - Remote Locking, Electric Windows, Climate Control, CD player (6cd changer), Alloys and the best bit - A REV COUNTER!

The car was owned by "Vauxhall-Motability", then 1 owner since. It is very tidy with only one exterior scuff & one mark on the drivers door card (looks like felt-tip pen).

So, here's my plans for it:

Exterior:
Keep It Clean!
Uprated Headlamp Bulbs - Done
Aero Flat Wipers - Done
De-Badge
Bigger (but oem) Alloys
Smaller Bee-Sting Aerial
Irmscher Spoiler
Colour Code Bump Strips
Smoked Rear Lights
Smoked Headlamps

Interior
Silver Dial Rings
LED (Dash) Lighting
Replace Horrible Wood Trim

Engine / Mechanical
De-Restrict Airbox
Panel Filter
Veccy C Intake

Last edited:
Reaction score
any plans then tim? the engine in that isnt to bad tbh! sounds like a good purchase!

Reaction score
I think first and foremost I'm gonna be keeping it tidy. Definately will be sourcing replacement door handles / door trim and have a go at colour coding I think. Also I'd like to swap the rear lights for something more like this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/smoked-black-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I think most mods will be interior / electrical. Want a set of new keys for it as the originals look rather shabby (i guess I'll be able to find them on eBay? also would coding them be a job for the dealer?) & then HIDs :D

The engine isn't bad at all, bit sluggish off the mark but the turbo kicks in around 2.2k rpm and moves quite swiftly after that.

Reaction score
any plans then tim? the engine in that isnt to bad tbh! sounds like a good purchase!

100bhp, same engine as my old mk4 estate apart from mine was the low pressure turbo without I/C. they'll run forever if looked after, although if you don't keep on top of the oil changes it'll smoke (and sound) like a tractor.

I think first and foremost I'm gonna be keeping it tidy. Definately will be sourcing replacement door handles / door trim and have a go at colour coding I think. Also I'd like to swap the rear lights for something more like this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/smoked-black-rear-lights-Vauxhall-Astra-G-MK4-OEM_W0QQitemZ170262019815QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170262019815&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I think most mods will be interior / electrical. Want a set of new keys for it as the originals look rather shabby (i guess I'll be able to find them on eBay? also would coding them be a job for the dealer?) & then HIDs :D

The engine isn't bad at all, bit sluggish off the mark but the turbo kicks in around 2.2k rpm and moves quite swiftly after that.

Keys can be bought on ebay easily enough, your best bet is to buy two blank blades and try to find somewhere to cut them, and then take the innards (including the transponder chips) from your old keys and put them into new bodys. I have a couple of spare keys here you can have if you want, just drop me a PM with your address and I'll bung them in the post to you. It's a really easy job to do, I've done a few now and its 5 minutes per key, max. if you use the innards of your current keys, then you won't need to get them coded again (which is a Tech2 job at a dealer sadly) but you will need to resync them, which again is a 2 minute job and really easy.

if your engine is a little sluggish off the mark then look at cleaning your EGR. Also, derestricting the airbox and fitting the Vectra C (Diesel) air intake will make it feel a bit quicker off the mark.

hope you get on well with it, looks a tidy enough car. I take it that as its a CD it's got the walnut/wood effect dash and gearknob? :puke::lol:

Reaction score
Thanks Pete.

Thought that'd be the way with keys - i'll see what they're like when I pick the car up and maybe will get round to rehousing.

Thanks for the tips with the engine, i will certainly look into that and hopefully get a bit more bottom-end grunt.

Yeah, it has the walnut effect stuff. Can't see it lasting long tbh - will probs change it before too long :)

Reaction score
no probs. any problems give me a shout. I have an engine bay full of spare parts at the moment too :lol:

one thing I would definately look at though - the rear brake calipers. check if yours are Bosch (fitted as standard to pre-01 cars - they'll have visible ridges on them when you look through the wheel) or Lucas (fitted 2001-on). If they're Bosch then see about swapping for Lucas as the Bosch's are incredibly prone to sticking...

Reaction score
for reference -

Bosch

Lucas

Reaction score
Finally picked it up today :D

Garage had to fit new front + rear brake discs / pads, rear springs, CAT, all 4 tyres for MOT so took a bit longer to prepare than they thought it would!

Very impressed with it so far, and seems to be averaging 52mpg which is rather good :D - Going to bristol on monday with it, so we'll see how it does then!

Pics:

Reaction score
top stuff, now get on with the mods :lol:

Reaction score
Right well, wasn't impressed with how the garage had(n't) valeted the car, so washed the exterior down and started on the black trim & wheels this morning.

Before:

After:

Also fitted some decent Osram sidelights & dipped beam bulbs - will get some better pictures when it's dark:

More later.

Reaction score
Spent pretty much all day cleaning the car, so here's some results pics.

I know the paintwork is a bit swirly, but that will be getting sorted soon :)

Oh, and was stupid enough to leave the car for 20 mins in my mates drive, came back and found this on the roof...Bloody Cats.

Users who are viewing this thread