Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

98 Astra 1.4i High Torq??

Reaction score
New here, Hey all :o)

As the title might suggest...

My brother has just bought a 98 Astra 1.4i Merit and when he got insurance for the car they needed to confirm with him that it's got a 'High Torq' or 'High T' as they called it engine.

I have never heard of this engine and High Torq on a 1.4 petrol seems odd as I would of thought that'll be something for a diesel.

Anyway, anyone got any info or any reference to this engine type? i.e performance figures, the difference between this High Torq and a 'normal' 1.4i engine?

I've had a search on the internet and couldn't find owt so thought I'd join on here ask your knowledgeable lot :)

Thanking you kindly

Regards
CraigyD :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
New here, Hey all :o)

As the title might suggest...

My brother has just bought a 98 Astra 1.4i Merit and when he got insurance for the car they needed to confirm with him that it's got a 'High Torq' or 'High T' as they called it engine.

I have never heard of this engine and High Torq on a 1.4 petrol seems odd as I would of thought that'll be something for a diesel.

Anyway, anyone got any info or any reference to this engine type? i.e performance figures, the difference between this High Torq and a 'normal' 1.4i engine?

I've had a search on the internet and couldn't find owt so thought I'd join on here ask your knowledgeable lot :)

Thanking you kindly

Regards
CraigyD :)

Yes, there is such a beast, I saw one on a N reg 1389cc car 2 years ago, when I went to insure it, the Insurer's database flagged it up as a Hi Torq. I bought the car and then sold it on. Dont know what the performance figures were but it defo had more torque low down that a standard engine if that helps.

I'm sure someone will be long shortly with all the facts and figures for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are TWO different injection systems used, the SPI or single point injection, is the "low torque", around 70bhp.
Then there is the "high torque" which is MPI, or Multi Point Injection, this by it's name suggest has 1 injector per cylinder, mounted between the plenum chamber and the cylinder head in the inlet manifold, these are around 84bhp.
The easy way to tell apart is the SPI looks like a carburettor in shape/size, whereas the MPI will have what looks like a big long squarish tube/chamber for the air that feeds the inlet manifold.
Further the 4 injectors can be clearly seen with a sprung two pin connector going to each for the lecky, these injectors have a fuel rail sat on top feeding petrol to all four in turn.
tabetha

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the replies :)

Been and had a look and it's a SPI system. Does this mean it is still a High Torque engine or does the High Torque engine only come on the MPI system? (not quite sure from the above post)

Thank you's

Craigy :)

Reaction score
yeah as andy said theres a hi-torq 1.4spi im not sure what it means but theres defo someone ive seen with one on here in his bit under his name aka Drives:

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when I was getting insurance quotes for my 1.4 8v SPi Merit that it showed up as Hi-Torq or something like it.

In that case try getting quotes through things like confused.com and gocompare.com, when you tap in your reg it should say hi-torq if it is and if it doesn't say it then it's probably not!

Not condoning this sort of behaviour, but if a forum of Mk3 Astra enthusiasts don't know how to find out, I doubt the insurers will! Just go for the cheapest!

Reaction score
Odd one really.

As the name suggests High Torque or how ever you wanna spell it (Hi Torq etc.) It would suggest that it delivers the torque lower down in the revs and there is more power available compared to the others. Can only be a bonus though eh?

The car does seem to pick up very well. Can see it being handy in a few situations i.e around town etc.

It's my brothers first car, we gave it a good wash, T-Cut and applied some Meguires wax afterwards (wish I took some before and after pics now).

98 R reg
85k on the clock
12month MOT
6month TAX

Is in really good nic for it's age, no rust on the arches, got the normal little dings and scratches here and there and 3 bubbles of rust on the boot.

£595... was up at 795 without the tax!!

Good buy?

Reaction score
yeah defo will be a high t car i have got a 95 1.4 merit n its a hight torque but its still stupidly slow lol

Users who are viewing this thread