Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Arctic Project (Take 2)

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I know someone's re producing power boxes if you wish for me to look into it for you?

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to see how much i could add, I did read about the reprogramming thing, Surely as long as i connect it to the OBD port i can use opcom to change it? Again looking forward to what i can add.

I will probably try to add cruise at some point too, and have a mirror and a control just need another mirror and get on with fitting the leccy mirrors.

Also got a set of angel eyes coming too. Timing belt is being done next week so be a bit more willing to use it after that is done, before the winter.

OP-COM wont do it sadly. I have a spreadsheet saved from many many years ago with all the programs listed. I think Nige may still have Tech2, so there's a possibility he could do it if you asked nicely.

Cruise control is definitely a nice addition for sure :)

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
OP-COM wont do it sadly. I have a spreadsheet saved from many many years ago with all the programs listed. I think Nige may still have Tech2, so there's a possibility he could do it if you asked nicely.

Cruise control is definitely a nice addition for sure :)
Ahh, that’s useful, maybe something for vboa 2022 then hah,
Think a few round here have tech 2 which maybe of use. Altho on your spreadsheet no mention of x16xel?
Cruise control deffo on the list.

The ez car care wax doing its things A624347B-BF1F-4811-8A37-13FCCE3EE093.jpeg

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
So Was on call this evening, and the weather hasn't been the best. Thought id crack on with getting the MFD fitted. Using the Pinout on the forum club shop I used some breadboard cables to connect to the crucial connectors, got it connected and had no joy then, I read through it again and found a ground I was missing.
JJCLEGGPhotography2021IMG_1797.jpg

JJCLEGGPhotography2021IMG_1798.jpg
THEN FINALLY! It bursts into life. I need to put another bulb in it, might get some LED's for it.

JJCLEGGPhotography2021IMG_1800.jpg

Next step, I hate cutting into looms and that, So going to buy another normal display and de-solder the connector and make like a loom up so it can always be returned back to how it was.

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
So been busy with work and other things, But got some new tools to make some connectors for the mfd, and started making some progress.

Able to make these kind of connectors, which are just the right spacing for the original black plug on the back of a normal MFD:
IMG_2052.jpeg

I bought another original MFD off of Ebay for about £2.99 and sacrificed the plug off of it to make a plug so I can then adapt to the mfd.

IMG_2057.jpeg

All the different wires where getting to me, so took a picture and printed so I can draw and annotate it.
IMG_2054.jpeg

Loom starting to take shape. Will finish a few connectors off and start connecting the wiper stalk buttons.

IMG_2061.jpeg

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
Nice work there! Can't beat a dupont connector haha. Use them loads for my 3d printer and stuff.
Yes they are great things! got the tool and a starter pack for about £20 off of amazon.

massive project for you, taking shape nicely
Yeah it is, But at least the way im doing it, if it goes wrong or something doesn't work I can always revert to original.

On the wiring diagram where it says to ground the connectors like to the sensors (which I will do for now) do I ground them to the ground pin on the plug or will any ground do?

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
ordered some new door speakers so thought id get on with the door deadening, really happy that none of the clips broke either when taking door card off.

Fitted the electric mirror on drivers side too for fitment. need to sort the wiring out, get the new speakers fitted then the door card can back on for good.

TimeLapse below

Users who are viewing this thread