Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Arctic Project (Take 2)

Andy_Mk3 One for you or anyone else. I need to connect the MFD to another fuel signal on the ECU? I can't work out which cable or pin on the two connectors that go into the ECU behind the panel by the bonnet release.

It's Pin B12 on the ECU itself.

It's Pin B12 on the ECU itself.
Might need some more help with that, but that can wait for another month....

Not much progress, Been giving it a few nice drives out and really enjoying it. Just Sorned for winter, Got some Angel eyes on Black Friday for it coming from FK.

With the help of Kev_mk3 got a intake powerbox which will be a project over the winter, maybe when its a bit warmer. IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2818.jpeg

Really nicely made, and lucky to get the last one!

Gave it an oil change last week, oil looked clean but wanted to make sure it was changed before the winter. Changed the air filter too, so should be nice a fresh for the spring, and hopefully be at a few shows in 2022.

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

Had smelly air-con so took the scuttle panel off and found the issue straight away!
IMG_2486.jpeg

Gave the area a bit of a clean up and ordered some new filters. Needs something to stop the water dripping from under the windscreen really.

Next thing was I noticed the alarm light wasn't flashing and after a bit of digging around I found the back of the locking mechanism in the bottom of the door, it was the bit that triggers the deadlock. Managed to source some online and ordered a couple for in future too.

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

I had a few occasions coming to the car and the battery was flat, so changed the battery and its been fine ever since, as I had first feared it may have been the power sounder.IMG_2332.jpeg

Whilst I was in there I managed to add another fuse and wire for a potential amplifier in the car, if I fit one ill try to fit it behind the glove box where the Auto transmission eco would usually be attached. Even managed to get some terminals in the original fuse holder so it'll look OEM.

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

Finished off the Rest of the front doors and added speakers!

IMG_2262.jpeg

IMG_2266.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

And even got some sound deadening under the bonnet too....

IMG_2295.jpeg

IMG_2298.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

Gave the padding a bit of a clean up as well and re-fitted.

Good work as always,

One question / observation, is the 50A fuse the new one you've added? The wire doesn't look very big to take 50A, might just be the picture

Good work as always,

One question / observation, is the 50A fuse the new one you've added? The wire doesn't look very big to take 50A, might just be the picture

Yea I didn't even spot that, or more didn't take in what he was saying.... Todd has a very valid point.

My Amp wiring came with an 80amp fuse, but that was on 4 gauge wire which is probably 4 or 5 times as thick as that cable! What is the amp going to be used for? MIght be worth just running a massive power cable into the car and worrying about what you gonna do with it later.

I did this on the astra rewire, ran a sub woofer cable, then ended up using to power my epas and fuel pumps etc cause I knew it would take it ok, over kill, but only have to do it once.

Good work as always,

Thanks, the 50amp fuse was already in there, unsure what it’s for, the cable is only rated to a max of 40amps I think that I’ve put in. I was more impressed that the connectors I got for another project fitted in the standard fuse holder lol.

Happy New Year everyone!

Over the few days around Christmas where I didn't have many plans... other than being on call.... I decided I would brave the cold northern weather and fit my Angel eyes which I've had for a few months.

I've had a set which have been missing parts but I bought these in the Black Friday sales from FK.

Two piece, and im glad I got two piece as I'm using the original indicators as the FK ones don't seem to fit properly in the wings. Quite a rough wiring fit but I'll get onto that in a bit.

Bit of a before picture before I commenced any work!

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_3825.jpg

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_3826.jpg
Old Vs New ^^^^^

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_3823.jpg

Whilst its a nice loom that comes with the kit, It doesn't look very OEM, So as I have a spare loom I plan on making my own looms. That way would save on the cables and wouldn't have to essentially run them off one side. I did eye up putting the fuses into a holder like below which I've used on the yeti when I've added more lights to that.

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_3824.jpg

But The lights are fused anyway, so would just make sure that the fuse that's there for each of them is correct, I would probably still use a relay and fuse for the dipped/main beam.

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_3829.jpg

One installed, and love the look already!

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_3832.jpg

I'm hoping to keep them with the Halogen bulbs in the angel eyes, they look a lot meaner imo compared to the led's you can put in them, I'm undecided what bulbs to put in them for road use. The dipped currently have H1 100watt in just to make sure it was all working, but wouldn't want to run them full time with power usage and heat.

With my spare pair, I was hoping to experiment with getting the levelling motor from the originals to work properly with them, as while the manual control is fine, it would be nice if the electric leveller would still work. I may look into adding a bi-xenon projector to them and some addressable LED rings in place of the halos, so be a warm white on the road but programmable off road.

Got myself a new daily, Octavia, Traded the Yeti in for it. So the mk3 has been on the back burner for a while.... With the weather and by the time I finish work I have no energy or light to do anything... Maybe she wanted some attention!

Attention is what she got at 2:45am the other morning!

All tucked up in bed as was most of the village & Street, then I heard a noise, it sounded like someone was using an industrial vacuum in the street. Couldn't see any lights, or anyone about, other than a few twitching curtains. The noise got louder, and the pitch increased. Then it dawned upon me that it was in fact, the MK3... it was the alarm horn, but wasn't going off like an alarm, no it was playing full blast with no break! So despite the what felt like sub-zero temperatures I decided to go out and try to disconnect the battery, as I knew I wasn't going to be a popular neighbour, woke my mum up who shone a torch and held the bonnet, as I didn't have time for the Bonnet prop! I decided to just unplug the horn. That did the trick! quickly hurried inside so nobody could see who it was :D

When I returned from work that evening I decided to do some investigation, I can remember the power sounder being warm in the last mk3, as they fail. and I was slightly concerned that, it would be the case and didn't want it to self destruct itself.

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4339.jpg

Horn unplugged.

Volt meter across the plug and it was showing the battery voltage. So I decided to remove or at least unplug the power sounder.
JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4333.jpg

WD-40 on the bolts on that mud flap.... they still broke off lol

I managed to get the connector out, and wondered what the pins where in the plug, turns out it had broken the pins off from inside the socket and it was pretty much short circuiting.

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4334.jpg

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4344.jpg

Plug and socket was mangled, and looked as if it had corroded inside and maybe arcd.

Sorry for my video skills here, I forgot about my degree when I did this :frusty:

The plug seemed to be the suspect, so decided that I would have to get a new plug if I ever wanted to replace it. So decided to chop them off and crimp some female bullet connectors on, and tape it up.... was my dads input as I was going to TEMP use chocky blocks :tape:

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4346.jpg

Bondaged!

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4348.jpg

Taped up and tie-wrapped to the bracket. Still impressed with the minimal rust/corrosion behind the arch liner. Sprayed some Waxoyl in there before putting it all back together. Alarm re-connected and tested! All works as it should.

JJCLEGGPhotography2022IMG_4350.jpg

Those power sounders are a nightmare, first job on all my Vectra B was to find it, take it out and plop it in water. They don't always sound before they catch fire, unless they start randomly doing it while driving through town at 2am with your horn blaring for no obvious reason :D

Nicely done and pics of the new daily?

Nicely done and pics of the new daily?
JJCLEGGPhotography21 _DSC9347-Edit-2.jpg

JJCLEGGPhotography21 _DSC9368.jpg

Skoda Octavia, 17 plate, 2.0tdi 150, Manual, Sunroof, and heated seats. Also has the LED headlights too... Still 4x4 but loads more space and cheaper on tax too. Got a few things in mind for it, oem+ stuff.

my old neighbours corsa b sounder started smoking from the power sounder" my old man put the fire out with a bucket lol

Finally a Day when its not blowing a gale... and im not full of cold or on call for that matter!

Finished off the Footwell lights on the octavia, and did a bit of tidying up.

Then after I had bought some male H4 adapter plugs I set about making the tidier looms for the angel eyes. I thought as the original lights are fused both dip and main on either side, that there is no real need for the additional relays and fuses for the angel eyes, And whilst my engine bay isn't as clean as it could be, it made it look even more bodged!

here goes...

Cut this off the loom that came with the lights.
IMG_4758.jpeg

Did a bit of double checking on which was what:

TOP Yellow: Dipped
Right Brown : Ground
Left White: Main Beam

This thankfully corresponded with the loom with the lights. Still just wanted to double check.
IMG_4759.jpeg

Crimped sort of, Don't have a proper tool but used pliers, unsure if there is a proper tool or not.

All in, the grey is for the sidelight, Have a separate plug for that.

IMG_4760.jpeg

Loom taped up and the sidelight plug attached.

IMG_4762.jpeg

Plugged in for a test fit, and it was powering the lights all fine.

IMG_4764.jpeg

Other side done
IMG_4766.jpeg

Loads better and looks loads tidier!

IMG_4767.jpeg

Also had a quick check over the car, remembered I need to find another of these, this seems to have split, doesn't seem damp at the bottom, but don't want it to completely go.
IMG_4737.jpeg

Started to take the upper inlet off to see if I can get the Mantzel powerbox to fit/work. Looks like I need to find a lower inlet off of an x16xe or X14xe. With the oval ports.

IMG_4748.jpeg

So back together for another few weeks! Undies are for the petrol that was sat in the Throttle body?
IMG_4752.jpeg

I've had a couple of sets of the depo angel eyes now and also thought the separate/additional loom etc was unnecessary too!

Good progress clegg, your crimp looked pretty good without the proper tool lol. Wiring is nice and neat aswell. amazing what can be done without having to resort to scotchlocks haha

Not done anything with it recently, might try get on with the door looms in the next few days... Gave her a good clean today. Can't wait to get it back on the road. Plan to get it on the road for the start of may.

IMG_5959.jpeg

Started on the electric mirrors, not going to be the tidiest, for now before DavebGsi jumps on....

First checked everything was the same, compared the plugs....IMG_5998.jpeg

Made sure the plugs where the same, which some where, and others weren't, the main ones that weren't the same plug window winder and the central locking. The plug fitted but didn't latch like the original.

IMG_5991.jpeg

IMG_5992.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

I decided to use the original plus on the new loom, I plan to either rewire the plug or source a new plug and wire it to the loom. I made sure there was plenty of slack to cut down when I finalise it all.

Had to use crimps as I had run out of chocolate blocks :biggrin::biggrin::bounce:

IMG_6004.jpeg

Complete loom...
IMG_6009.jpeg
Not the most tidiest, but It works. I will tidy it up.

if anyone can guide me on where to get replacement plugs or recognise them from anything else?

Attachments

• IMG_6011.jpeg
    IMG_6011.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6007.jpeg
    IMG_6007.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6006.jpeg
    IMG_6006.jpeg