Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Astra Convertible - Opel, not Vauxhall

That's why I started the story with the shortshifter. It happens when the driving is agressive, when shifting to the second gear :heh:

027412405.jpg

And here it is something, I must finished it long ago, but lazyness is very strong thing:lol:. BUt last sunday I forgot the handbrake lifted and drove the highway about 2-3 km before I notice the smell and the smoke :doh: Everything in the drum is baked crispy :heh: And the cyls are leaking brake fluid. And I think now is the time to swap the brakes. Today I cleaned and then greased everything . I like to prepare everything in advance, ' cause don't like unforeseen surprises

027412403.jpg

P.s. The shifting now, with the shortshifter, is brutally cool :tape:

Today my order arrived... And it is 2 brand new headlights with h4 socket, that perfectly fit the Morette brackets, but the lights are not Valeo like the "original", but they are from a interesting car manifacturer... There is stamped on them "Сделано в Россия" or "Made in Russia" :heh: The lights are from VAZ "Lada" 1600S and are exact copy of the Valeo-s. The pair cost me 8 euros :rolleyes:.

027741529.jpg

At the time of the montage. Of course not passed without alteration and shearing. My heart ached as I started the bumper with the knife, but the "Muning" requires sacrifice :heh:

027741530.jpg

Completed installation ... There is more to this mask, like painting the grill in black, find two lights for the inner sockets and some more junk, but overall this is now ... Live seems at times better

027741528.jpg

That's what I do last couple of days. I found a pair of low red rear springs from/for Calibra because I have the feeling that the Convertible overloads the red FKs(manifactured for normal Astra F). But the "new" ones was with very damaged coating, rusted in fact and someone daub on them with bronze for stoves. I tried to clean them and after 13 seconds of wire-brushing I quit. For about 2-3 days searched for a sandblaster and found it. The springs were blasted and then "gone" to powder coating, of course - Red. After another day, ie Today took them and I'm very pleased. Judging by the shape, I think they are H&R, but in fact I haven't seen any logos or anything because of the rust and the bronze. How much they are lowering I do not know but I'll try them on the car very soon. Judging by eye the springs are about the same height like the present FKs but seems they are stiffer and harder. I'll see that after the montage

027792578.jpg

Last edited:
the project is frozen for a minimum 6 months, because I'm not in the country, but sailing around the world :heh:

Korea, Singapur, Panama, USA, GB, Dar Es Salaam(somewhere in African Eastcoast :noidea: ) , South America...these are the last known positions of the ship...maybe not in that order.... I'm getting on the ship on 7-th of Oct.. in Korea :heh:

Hi, guys, after a huge lack of presence I returned (in fact in March :heh: ). For these 4 months I've been here I continued the "project" a bit.

New K&N air filter
030080821.jpg

New caliper springs
030122770.jpg

New Ate handbrake wire
030056149.jpg

WEBER Fuel pressure regulator
030056153.jpg

Something wrong happened to the calibra springs
030972322.jpg

And now the car is like a stork, but a new pair of red rear calibra springs are waiting in the trunk
030972321.jpg

Also bought a lip spoiler from BMW E46 (almost a perfect fit to the astra)
e46-bmw-m3-007.jpg

Also found some headlights. I have pictures only of the other car, because I found the astra with the lights in the gipsy ghetto, gave mine headlights and some cash and received these. I think that the lights are Irmscher, but I'm not sure. The lights will be for the converible, combined with GSi front grill...
030122777.jpg

Almost forgot... bought FK blinkers
030972324.jpg

030972323.jpg

Last edited:
With the new lights, ...colour coding temporary:lol:

031623200.jpg

lights like that were on German eBay and were really really expensive!!! I think there probaly the best lights for the Astra!

May be, but they are awfull to fit. I "played" with them around 6 hours and there is more work to be done, but for now this is it. Now I'm waiting again to embark soon and the cabby is sleeping in the garage already.

Please, delete the thread! The car has a new owner. I kept only the fork lights... If someone is interested in them, write me in private, I have 2 sets already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back