Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Astra F 1996 HVAC recirculating switch

Reaction score
Hello, first post so not sure of etiquette. Does anyone know of correct vacuum hose connections for recirculating valve as mine is not connected. Have one light grey and one black hose "spare" at present; unless Hot/Cold (black with green stripe) have been swapped over. Thanks.

Reaction score
The rear of the recirculation switch has two connections but I'm afraid I can't tell you which vac hoses connect. Just try plugging both spare hoses in and see if that sorts it.

Reaction score
The rear of the recirculation switch has two connections but I'm afraid I can't tell you which vac hoses connect. Just try plugging both spare hoses in and see if that sorts it.
Hello Harvey, thanks for the thought, I tried that one, no success; wondered if someone previously had mucked around to cure another problem. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hello all, I've made some progress with this; if I disconnect the vacuum hose in the engine bay from what looks like a valve joining two coolant hoses, the recurculation system now works. Problem is I can't suck and drive (no rude comments please). I'm having trouble identifying the valve (or whatever), any thoughts please? Thanks.

Reaction score
I've just checked engine side for you and there will be 2 tiny vac pipes. The tiny brake servo vac pipe goes through the scuttle drain and into a one-way square vac box under the scuttle panel located on the passenger side (rhd). Into the square vac box is a black with green trace pipe that connects to the top of the interior fan housing and into the cabin air housing. Disconnect the tiny vac hose at the brake servo connection being very careful not to snap it and confirm you can suck but not blow the tiny vac pipe as the connections at the square vac box may be incorrect. The other engine side vac hose goes from the coolant valve and into the car via the pedal box area next to the brake servo. If the engine side connections are correct it'll be something inside the car not correct so keep poking and you'll find it.

Reaction score
Thanks again Harvey, that all looks correct. As I have AC fitted, would I be correct in assuming that the black/green vacuum hose connects to the heater control, then loops into then loops into the recirculation control so that the vacuum is shared? If so, someone has previously misconnected as there is no vacuum supply to the recirculating switch that I can trace; just one to the coolant valve and the one to the flap vacuum control, unsurprising that nothing works. I suspect you are right and that it is within the "plumbing of the heater controls that there is a misconnection. Fortunate that I'm retired so "work" doesn't get in the way of this kind of "fun". If only the manual showed the vacuum etc connections on the controls. Thanks once again for your invaluable help.

Reaction score
My wifes mk3 also has AC as standard, it is an Arctic but with a slightly larger engine installed by me :biggrin: so if you're still struggling let me know and I'll see what I can find on the inside without stripping out too much of the dash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)