Astra G 1.8 Power steering fluid type

Reaction score
Hi guys, Yeah I know I know I'm back calm down calm down we'll do the huggin bit later :biggrin: obviously not been on for a while wasn't even sure I was on the right site when I logged on it seems to have changed a tad, I need some help as I'm currently getting nowhere fast. I bought the wife an Astra G 1.8 16 valve some months back nice car bought it from an old chap really low miles and been well looked after but a few weeks ago the electric power steering pump spat its dummy out then chucked its toys outa the pram completely.

I've had to change it out It was originally fitted with a Gen 1 pump but it seems these are renowned for going so after getting some advice I changed it out and fitted a Gen 2 pump with its bracket and lines it's now all back together as of this afternoon but come to put some power steering fluid in it (had a bottle in the shed from my MK3 Astra) then thought ... better check first and basically the Haynes manual is USELESS it just says use special Vauxhall fluid or words to that effect and gives the OE number as 90 544 116 BUT on reading a bit on the old interweb some say you should use GM 93160548 which is Green but one guy said he used it in his Astra and a week later his power steering started squealing its Ass off :confused:

So I could really do with some advice as to just what it is I SHOULD be pouring in there its a Gen 2 TRW electric pump in a 2000 1.8 16 valve MK4 Astra if anyone can please help me with a definite type to use I would be extremely grateful coz this one little thing is holding the job up, thanks all :thumb:

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Yes we've done a few upgrades to keep the forums up to date :)

From what I can find, CHF 202 is what you need. This stuff should do the job:

Reaction score
Hi Andy, thanks very much for that very much appreciated I'll have a look at that when I'm over in Camborne on Monday, found a Litre that the wife bought for it from our local Auto parts shop a few weeks back its CHF Fully synthetic central hydraulic fluid by Trade Tec 'and it's green like the recommended Vauxhall stuff is don't remember asking her to get it but must have done BUT don't know if right to use .. apparently the guy at the auto place said it definitely was .. just be my luck to find it screws the pump and I can do without that after all the work I've done.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Andy the power steering fluid I had worked a treat she's now back on the road and driving as she should be so all good :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)