Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Astra gsi c25xe conversion

Reaction score
Right Im pretty new to engine conversions and could do with a few words of wisdom.
I have an astra with a V6 lump in it at the moment, a few things are worrying me about it...
1) strong smell of petrol when the engine is running, particulaly when the fans are on the highest setting. It has a fuel pump out of a cav or a calibra.. maybe this is linked?

2)The breaks.. I would prefer beefer breaks cuz the back end swings when breaking from 50+mph. But is it worth sticking some 5 stud hubs on while im at it?

3)suspension. The ride hight is VERY low, and the ride is back breaking. eventhough it sticks round corners i really dont think its worth scraping the exaust on EVERY SINGLE SPEED BUMP ( and my drive way) Anyone sugest reasonable springs?

The car is currently off the road because my mate is fitting a new front manifold, the old one was cracked and the previous owner decided to weld it.. didnt look too tidy. My mate who doing the work thinks I should get rid as soon as its back on the road, but i think it could be a good project.

He reckons if im keeping it I should be lookin at F25 gearboxes aswel..

All comments/suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Reaction score
Picture of the car in question

Reaction score
oh you bought it off ebay then did you
it needs a fair bit of work apparantly

Reaction score
nah friend of a friend, but its been thrown together and rushed, shame really

Reaction score
if not its identical in every way even down to the engine conversion and poor brakes

Reaction score
it could be made good though with a little time and effort

Reaction score
Its never been sold on ebay. Its always stayed local. What your trying to get at is that its a pile of screws.. i know that.

Reaction score
must be an identical car out there with similar faults then
if i remember correctly it was for sale on ebay in the chester area
im not pulling the car down mate it looks a decent enough car to work with and make good again it just needs a bit of time and effort to make good

Reaction score
must be an identical car out there with similar faults then
if i remember correctly it was for sale on ebay in the chester area
im not pulling the car down mate it looks a decent enough car to work with and make good again it just needs a bit of time and effort to make good

Yeah true. If i knew it had all these problems i would have proly thought twice about buying it. Or at least kept it off the road till it was in a better state. But there is definatly potential

Reaction score
we all live and learn mate
at least when youve got the problems sorted you know it will be a good car again
what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking

Reaction score
if the worst come to the worst and you decided to cut your losses you should get your money back by breaking it
but it looks too good to break id personally fix the faults and enjoy it

Reaction score
if you keep the 4 stud you can get 288mm discs and drill them to 4 stud or convert it to 5 stud and they would be a straight fit

the petrol smell is it coming from the engine bay or just inside the car?

Reaction score
the petrol smell could be the engine overfuelling
as said above i would uprate from 256mm discs and calipers to 288mm discs and calipers from a cav/calibra v6 or turbo its easy enough to redrill them to 4 stud fitment
as for the suspension the springs and shockers are probably worn so if your on a tight budget id go for some g max springs and shockers as theyre reasonably priced and decent quality
hope this helps mate

Reaction score
all cars have rear brakes lol
it should have rear discs as its a gsi

Reaction score
all cars have rear brakes lol
it should have rear discs as its a gsi

Today i changed the cam belt because it was slightly frayed, when i took the front wheel off I found theres no sprigot rings on the alloys.. Proly one of the reasons why the ride is abit shakey.

Users who are viewing this thread