Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Astra GSi rear brake conversion

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but i want to change the rear drums on my merit for GSi disks.
So what parts am i going to need, do i need to change the whole rear beam or can i get away with just removing the drum.
And what is involved when doing the conversion?

Cheers for any input.

Chris

AL

Reaction score
Right, the age old question - but a good one!

There;s 2 way's of doing this:

Get the front hub's off an Astra and bolt them on - like EasyRob.
Get a complete rear beam off a Sport/GSi and swop it over - it's only 4 bolts!

It's choose the latter option personally - decent beams go for around £50 on Mig.

The one thing you'll need is a GSi handbrake cable and bracket - am sure somebody can provide a part number...

Reaction score
Cheers for that fella.

By the way, have you sorted out your electrical problem you had at Trax?

Reaction score
So if i get a whole GSi rear beam i dnt have to do any welding? just the hand brake cable thing

Reaction score
oh rite kool, i herd some stuff about welding n got a little scared! str8 swap for rear beam makes senese... not sure y people dnt always do it??? Could i also swap out the front calipers, pads and discs for ones off a GSi?

Reaction score
great all i need is to get paid and then source the parts. also u kno any one local to berkshire who would fit it for me? wud do it my self but dnt wannt bugger it up!

Reaction score
lord_osiris said:
great all i need is to get paid and then source the parts. also u kno any one local to berkshire who would fit it for me? wud do it my self but dnt wannt bugger it up!
if its only four bolts then i dont see the problem. two jacks, gett it off the ground and 4 bolts.

might do this myself but alas im too scared, might get jamie sri to help me though

Reaction score
yeh, was thinking of jackin it up and doin it myself. dunno prob screw up the brake lines tho!

Rob

Reaction score
Nah you wont bollocks the brake line up. Chances are the old copper section will have gone solid, so you'll need a new length made up (ony a few quid from motor factors, including union nuts). If you need any advice on this just msn me up - rob_smith86@hotmail.com

Reaction score
lewism said:
if its only four bolts then i dont see the problem. two jacks, gett it off the ground and 4 bolts.

might do this myself but alas im too scared, might get jamie sri to help me though
aye nae bother, wot you gonni be doin anyhow? ave got two trolley jacks, axle stands, few tools an a mahoosive driveway :cool:

Reaction score
jamie_sri130 said:
aye nae bother, wot you gonni be doin anyhow? ave got two trolley jacks, axle stands, few tools an a mahoosive driveway :cool:
replacing the read drum hubs for some break things. got the mot on thursday so ill ask the friendly technician. dont happen to have the tools bens on about do ya? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)