Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

ASTRA MK3 1.8 MISFIRING FINALLY SOLVED

Reaction score
hi guys so i made a thread earlier on about my astra c18xe misfiring. whilst driving it lost power and cut out. i limped back home somehow and tried to diagnose the fault.

i checked compression on cylinders, all perfect. vacuum pipes were good aswell. i changed the coil pack twice, spark plugs, wires and camshaft sensor. still none of that worked.

until today i noticed a small wire was snapped. when i opened the protection and went further to investigate, the whole wire was burned which i believe is the injector wire.

i used a stereo wire to connect its ends temporarily and see if thats the cause of misfire and it worked, i started the car and engine was running smoothly.
now i have to get a new wire, protection and re-wire the whole thing.

the only thing that bugs me is how and why would it burn? if i re-wire it would it happen again? or is something causing the wire to burn.??

so anyway in case this happens to you, make sure to check wires before spending money on unnecessary parts.

Reaction score
i dont know the reason as to why it burnt out, but i have a full engine loom for a C18XE still on the car in my garage which i plan to scrap this year.

if you wanted to replace the whole loom you could have it for £30, or make me an offer.. im in Bracknell, berkshire

Reaction score
Nice one.
Check the rest of the loom carefully. To be honest, there's not that much of it (compared to a modern car..) so you should be able to have a good look over it.
I once had a 1995 Astra X16XEL. Unfortunately, the loom chafed on the alternator bracket. It shorted out, heated up some wires and started to melt the entire loom :o
I think yours is different to that as the fault seems very localised but do have a good look over it. Luckily, in the case of mine, it cut out and wouldn't restart; the person driving had the forethought to pop the bonnet and disconnect the battery before the car went up!!

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
One place the loom chafes on mine (dunno wether others have the same) is where the loom coils round the drivers side suspension turret, under the airbox.
The plastic conduit had worn through on mine, but I managed to catch it in time and tape it up before any wires wore through and shorted on the body.

Reaction score
Broken to a point where only a few strands remain and overheated. It should blow the fuse but no doubt burnt out immediately. :)

myastra

Club Member
Reaction score
Starting right from the beginning of this original thread where the C18XE engine was misfiring, where was the exact location of this damaged wire as I also have the C18XE engine and would like to check mine also.

Users who are viewing this thread