Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Astra ts issues

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi

A couple months ago (Sep/Oct 2019) my Astra 200ts (Astra Saloon) was giving me some issues and still is.

It would lose power or backfire the moment the ts starts boosting. So driving without boosting, it will behave but only for a short time. Then sometimes it would just cut out while driving or will cut out the moment I put my foot on the accelerator but idling was fine. So these issues will happen randomly.

1st thing I changed was the Fuel Filter – still issues

2nd Changed the Fuel Pump Relay – still issues

3rd I swapped fuel pumps with my other Astra (5door Kadett 200is) – still issues, then

Installed a new Bosch Fuel pump but still having issues.

Then a work colleague told me remove my fuel cap, thinking my tank vent is blocked – it seemed to work but after a few km it started again with the same issues.

I checked my tank vent pipe for blockages but it seems to be fine.

I’ve checked fuel lines, vacuum pipes and electrical connectors but could not see any faults. ***

The only thing I haven’t changed was the fuel regulator but I’ve installed a new vacuum pipe.

So I’m not sure if it is fuel related (maybe something at the tank is faulty – I don’t know L.

I stopped “working” on the ts for about two months. I’m on leave till the 13th Jan, so last week I decided to start working on the ts again.

Maybe it could be “spark” related?????

My other Opel is a 1997 Kadett 200is AKA Astra 5 Door 2l 8V)

So I wanted to swap my two ignition coil’s around but after removing both the coils I noticed that my 1997 Kadett’s coil connector is different to my 1995 ts Astra coil connectors and I didn’t want to change/fiddle to much with my Kadett so is reinstalled the same coils on each car. I was going to buy a new coil but I took a chance and started the ts and it seems to be 100%. But I have only done about 20km (still early days) and I’m still driving without the fuel cap.

Maybe me fiddling around with the ignition coil and plug leads sorted my issues but like I say – early days.I’m still not 100% confident and still have to put the fuel cap back and test.

And now to put the cherry on the cake

Since I’ve fiddled around with the fuel pump relay and checking cables/connections in the vicinity of the fuel pump relay, my Multi-Function Display is acting up.

Its either just showing the time with no other info or it shows almost all the LCD characters, and my radio’s antenna is sometimes going up and down (still the standard factory radio that shows the radio info on the MFD unit)

WTF?

Communication problem between MFD and ECU? Or ECU Fault?

Sorry for the many words, hope someone can maybe assist.

Thx JustinOpel TS Multi Function Display.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a test ride yesterday

Drove almost 50 km with the fuel cap fitted and the Astra is driving 100% (idling, Power delivery, boosting is perfect)

So it looks like it was the ignition coil that was acting up. I will do some more “testing” tomorrow.

The only thing that’s still an issue is the MFD. Its doing funny thing – I will have to take a video to explain what’s it doing.

I don't even have a factory ecu installed on mine and the MDF doesn't do that. It still functions fairly normal so I don't think it will be your ecu. Probably something to do with the wiring, go back and check the wiring in the kick panel if you've been working in that area you have probably got a loose wire or earth.

I don't even have a factory ecu installed on mine and the MDF doesn't do that. It still functions fairly normal so I don't think it will be your ecu. Probably something to do with the wiring, go back and check the wiring in the kick panel if you've been working in that area you have probably got a loose wire or earth.
Yes, you are right. tested today with a spare ECU and the display is still doing the same.
Now to find that wire.
i have a wiring diagram file that will hopefully help meDiagram 2.PNGDiagram 14.PNG

Good wiring diagram that, Could of done with that last week, using a Haynes manual sucks. I Pulled my dash out to tidy up all the wiring as there were old alarm wires etc. Hook the battery up having put the dash back in and everything works without the key in the ignition! Turns out I had wired the ignition switch up wrong, thank god I didn't have to pull the dash again.

Yoh, that would have been time wasting pulling the dash again.

the diagram file is technical info that was given to the Delta SA (Opel) mechanics/technicians in 1997.
It also shows detailed info on 1.4 l to 2l. (Panelbeating repairs, engine, gearbox...... basically the complete car)

Yeah pulling the dash is not a nice job, Its like opening a bt telephone box. I had soldered over 30 odd wires up and not checked everything works before I put it back in - stupidly, Worked out ok though simple fix. Its probably something similar with yours, its just finding it!

Im no mechanic and don't have nearly the expertise and experience that i see most of you guys have on this forum. But i like working on my cars myself (up to a point)

Yeah pulling the dash is not a nice job, Its like opening a bt telephone box. I had soldered over 30 odd wires up and not checked everything works before I put it back in - stupidly, Worked out ok though simple fix. Its probably something similar with yours, its just finding it!
Yes finding it (lets hope)

That wiring diagram looks brilliant, you don't have a full set you can upload do you?

That wiring diagram looks brilliant, you don't have a full set you can upload do you?
Yes sure, the file is 3.5mb. can i mail it to you or maybe mail it to MK3 admin?

Fault found:( J

After checking and finding no fault with the cables and connections near the ECU, decided to use my 200is Kadett's (Astra 5 Door) MFD.
I didn't really wanted to use the Kadett's MFD (don't want to "blow up" a MFD that is working), just encase i have a wire short on my Astra's.

But swapped them and its working 100%

Now the question is why?

Was it just a coincidence when I was fiddling at the fuel pump relay that the MFD went faulty or is there something ells (cable short, earth fault….) that I’m missing.

Yes sure, the file is 3.5mb. can i mail it to you or maybe mail it to MK3 admin?

Yeah send it over unless you can attach it to a comment on here, I've never tried to do it before

let see if this works (file atatched)

Attachments

• Vauxhall_Astra_91-95.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
Looks like the attachment is working.

:( there is another file i want to send but looks like the upload file is too large.

At least you have got to the bottom of the problem. Did you disconnect the battery while you were working on the electrics? maybe shorted something and buggered screen. I wasn't sure if you could have swapped mfd's, obviously can. When I looked into getting a new mfd there were loads of different part numbers, assumed they were all paired to cars ecu etc. Well done and cheers for the wiring diagram, I've saved that one.

At least you have got to the bottom of the problem. Did you disconnect the battery while you were working on the electrics? maybe shorted something and buggered screen. I wasn't sure if you could have swapped mfd's, obviously can. When I looked into getting a new mfd there were loads of different part numbers, assumed they were all paired to cars ecu etc. Well done and cheers for the wiring diagram, I've saved that one.
yes i didn't disconnect the battery when i was removing the fuel pump relay. Lets hope that was the cause (school fees now paid:( ) and i think i had my ignition "On" when i removed the Fuel Pump relay from its base.
yes its almost the same part numbers for the MFD but the last few numbers differ. My 2L 8V Kadett's one was marked 8V and the ts one was marked T. I was worried that that the two weren't interchangeable and that it might blow.

Cool, hope the diagram will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back