Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Automatic Astra running poorly

Best answers
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a few issues that I've been trying to figure out for a while now and I can't seem to suss it. I have a MK3 Astra C14SE Automatic and it's not running right. It drives and just about manages to get me from A to B but it feels like I'm constantly having to beat the p*ss out of it. It has little go in it when taking off, it's awful on hills, the kick down sometimes works and it sometimes changes heavily into gear. I know it's a 1.4 and they're not renowned for speed, but it hasn't always been like this.

I also get an EML when cruising on the dual carriageway. It comes on for about 30 seconds then switches off. I've noticed it usually does this when at around 3k rpm.

When selecting the gears 'manually' the 'S' button starts flashing and it goes into a gimp mode, I mean limp mode.

Any help would be massively appreciated, thank you!

I would maybe give it a full service with plugs etc, also try disconnecting the battery for about 30-60minutes, the automatics learn how you drive. I would maybe look at it getting plugged in, I used to have the x16xel with the af13 (I think) good auto box and was quite nippy at setting off.
The selector on the top of the box can get manky inside and I remember taking it off and drilling the pins out and cleaning then regressing the contacts. There is a guide on here for that I’m sure.

I would maybe give it a full service with plugs etc, also try disconnecting the battery for about 30-60minutes, the automatics learn how you drive. I would maybe look at it getting plugged in, I used to have the x16xel with the af13 (I think) good auto box and was quite nippy at setting off.
The selector on the top of the box can get manky inside and I remember taking it off and drilling the pins out and cleaning then regressing the contacts. There is a guide on here for that I’m sure.
Awesome thank you for your reply! I'll give that a go and see where it gets me.

as above i would clean the switch, i would imagine the eml would be lambda related. can you paper-clip any codes from the engine or gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back