Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Boosted Baby Wagon

Already am, went out to do some mapping tonight after making a makeshift pressure tester. Found 3 big leaks, sorted them and took it out. Lost a downpipe stud so far, and need to adjust the actuator. Only hitting 1.3 bar and 0.5 on wastegate pressure. Should be around a bar. I remember when I moved the actuator, I had to wind the rod right in, and it bottomed out. So I'll either space the actuator or cut the rod down.

Already am, went out to do some mapping tonight after making a makeshift pressure tester. Found 3 big leaks, sorted them and took it out. Lost a downpipe stud so far, and need to adjust the actuator. Only hitting 1.3 bar and 0.5 on wastegate pressure. Should be around a bar. I remember when I moved the actuator, I had to wind the rod right in, and it bottomed out. So I'll either space the actuator or cut the rod down.

Had to do the same with mine and cut rod down slightly.

I darent run mine until its mapped although they were rich figures when I went around the block.... guess rich for me is probably just as bad as lean with it needing running in again.

Mine was in the 10s all over from mapping it with a blowing exhaust.

Sorted the boost issue. It was the wastegate spring. Put a spring rated for 1.5 bar in, and the wastegate pressure is at about 0.9bar now. Got the new map on with a request of 1.8 bar at WOT after 3.5k RPM and got on with the fuelling. Fuel wasn't far off on boost because of mapping it with a slight blow before the wideband before. Did a bit of ignition tweaking too, but its quite hard to do on the road.
The power is unreal. Holds 1.8bar at 6k RPM no problem. Can't wait to get the last tweaks sorted and it rolling roaded.

Sorted the boost issue. It was the wastegate spring. Put a spring rated for 1.5 bar in, and the wastegate pressure is at about 0.9bar now. Got the new map on with a request of 1.8 bar at WOT after 3.5k RPM and got on with the fuelling. Fuel wasn't far off on boost because of mapping it with a slight blow before the wideband before. Did a bit of ignition tweaking too, but its quite hard to do on the road.
The power is unreal. Holds 1.8bar at 6k RPM no problem. Can't wait to get the last tweaks sorted and it rolling roaded.

Yep, found that 4th gear pulls to map were a little too fast on mine when i did the GT30 lol, lower gears make it hard to keep steady load areas I found too.... bet yours will be even worse.

Have you thought about renting a rolling road?

Yeah, I'm happy with it as it is for now. Time on the rolling road would literally be for getting the last 10hp out of it, so maybe one day in the future.

How did you go about light loads and setting off -Handbrake? thats how i did mine and worked very well. I've been put off with mapping my own though lol, will be run-in map by tuner and full map tuner again.

The software basically datalogs AFR's and makes suggested changes to the map. So I just make the fuel safe and rich, and then drive around town a bit.

Had a bit of drama today. Took the car out, no problem all day. Driving back from a clients nice and gently the whole way and oil pressure light came on.

21557812_10159399336065397_2428476262884362908_n.jpg

21743266_10155429327260861_4876213650240404583_n.jpg

21752368_1847463005584054_3885070526052876631_n.jpg

Beth came with oil, chucked a litre in, which it chucked straight back out. Was hoping it was just a small leak that had got bad through the day. Nope, a take off from the back of the block that was blanked off, had spat the pipe off the banjo where it had gone brittle. New pipe, clips and about 3 litres of oil later it's all good again. No damage either which is a bonus.

Should see under mine.... crank seals fix themselves if you leave them long enough yeah? Bound to have a few teething problems though and at least its a nice easy fix.

Should see under mine.... crank seals fix themselves if you leave them long enough yeah? Bound to have a few teething problems though and at least its a nice easy fix.
Just brilliant that it wasn't related to anything I touched during the whole turbo swap.

2 years later mine is leaking so no :lol:

Got it all running perfectly for a week, then a day before my rolling road booking my actuator decides to just not hold boost. Tried it without the vac pipe and it's dropping 5 psi as soon as it hits peak. Still got it rolled at 350 hp and nearly 400 ft lbs at 1.5 bar. Getting ANOTHER spring for the actuator to try and get it holding boost again. Then I'll take it back and get a proper result.

Also worth noting it hit 1.5bar and tailed off, so it would easily make more power if it held 1.5bar to the limiter, before going to 1.7/1.8bar .. so all in all, bloody impressive!

then I will have a drive :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back