Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Boosted Baby Wagon

TMODAlpha

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Best answers
Reaction score
Here we go again!

Some of you might remember this was Beths car, and looked a little like this:

Well, it failed an MOT just over a year ago, broken rear spring, CV boot and emissions and was replaced with this:

471481_10151824511560397_348148628_o.jpg

And it never felt so good to have 1 less car to maintain. Until me and Beth decided to throw a child in to the equation.

Now its back out of the garage and getting ready for an MOT.

Since those photos, it's had the LS alloys nicked for my car, so was rolling about on my old 17's. They're off now and its rocking sport steels. It has GSi rear lights, smoked side repeaters, colour coded mirrors, bumpers and spoiler.

So today, first things first, rear springs. I've changed mine to Koni's so had my old Spax ones kicking about

Then turned my attention to the front.

Swapping the springs over on the front too, might as well since I needed to get to the CV joint, although there is a lot of grease everywhere the boot isnt split. So I suspect its come from the bottom ball joint, that is split to high heavens and drier than a dry thing. It still moves, but it isnt pretty.

So far I need a new bottom ball joint and an ARB drop link. Not bad really. Will do those while its all off.

Its also going to have Black Diamond front discs that I got from a warranty replacement, they're still sealed in the box, and some Black Diamond predator pads. More stopping than going power. But the discs are write offs anyway so its a good job I have them.

Needs an air box fitting, a few bits of interior trim refitting, a wing mirror refitting, a good clean out and then an MOT. Not too much to do really.

Looks good!! I nearly bought an Arizona like this but went for the Arctic instead...

Whats the reasoning for not using the corsa?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The wife uses that for work, and I need something that uses less fuel than the turbo lump and has seats that are baby friendly so decided to get this back on the road.

Nice mate. Didn't realise you had another one.

Yep, and the mother in law has one too, had about 5 on the go on one point. So thats 3 Mk3's and a Corsa that I look after.

Needs GSI kit :tape: :lol:
Just keeping it well maintained as a baby wagon then :d

Needs GSI kit :tape: :lol:
Just keeping it well maintained as a baby wagon then :d

It does not need a GSI kit! :lol: Already got a GSi kitted Astra, dont want another one. Especially when its a 1.4 :P

Thats the plan. Its in really good shape as it is. Think it has less than 70k miles on it too.

70k? Less than average mileage for its age then!! Mines 98 with 77k...

Just think of the saving using this every day!! Although you may miss the power

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yeh, its around that, I know its nowhere near 80k yet but I can't really remember.

Yeh I know, I do 70-80 miles a day too so i'll soon notice the difference. Power wise, actually, it might be nice to leave a junction without fearing for my life in the wet weather.

Right so, 2 ARB links bought and a bottom ball joint.

Once they go on, its had 4 nearly new tyres, 4 new wheels, lowering springs and all the MOT stuff done from the last test for a grand total of £36! :D Winner.

Will give it a proper service before it goes back on the road too, which will cost all of £20.

well soon as its mot'd then i can say officially.

Welcome to the slow and steady crew again!

nice one mate, only problem is babies love boost

Photobucket took its merry time with this photo showing up last time. So, new springs on the rear

Got the leg off the other side too

Not without some fun. It's ALL original stuff. And its all lasting very well. Except the bottom joint castle nut was fun to get off. Then the drive shaft would not move for toffee.

Used some wood to gently tap it out, but it still wouldnt budge. In the process still managed to screw the thread up. So. Pulled it out the box, got it in the garage and smashed it out. Beth heard me from inside, which resulted in a free drive shaft, but the end of it being this shape.

Not to worry, heres one I rescued earlier.

So, jobs left to do. Let drill battery charge, drill the remaining rivets out to change the bottom ball joint. Change the ARB drop links. Swap springs over on the legs. Swap the outer CV joints over for the driveshaft. Change the brake disks over. Fit the new pads.

Refit is the reverse of removal as Haynes says.

Then, put an air box on it, service it. MOT it.

Yeh, getting that balljoint out is going to be fun.

It has 82,000 on the clock. Not bad for a nearly 19 year old car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back