Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Brakes groaning - Help before i have a BBQ on it!!

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Best answers
Reaction score
Reaching the end of my tether with this car now, since it ticked over 100000 the problems are coming thick and fast. I had a new beam fitted about a month ago, which meant obviously the brake brakes were taken apart to remove the handbrake cable. When i got it back, whenever i touch the brakes, i get a horrible groan, but not continuous as i'm stopping, its like SQUEAK off SQUEAK off everytime. It varies in volume depending how hard the pedal is pressed. I took it back after a couple of days, they had it a full day, nothing missing, loose, broken or worn. I've looked as well and can't see anything. What can it be? Its driving me nuts cos it sounds a proper shed pulling up somewhere lol.

Did a test today, pulled up on an empty piece of road using only the handbrake - no noise, then did it again with the footbrake and the groan came back. I have no idea apart from worn rear cylinders?

Defo coming from the rear is it? You could start with a strip and clean of the rear drums. Buff up the shoes and the drum with emry cloth and clean with brake cleaner. Then copper grease on the contact point where the shoes move on the back plate.

Done all that lol, was the first thing i did when it started making the noise. Definetly the rear, and more the drivers but defo both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back