C16SE ECU, calculating load

Reaction score
Hello

Anyone have an idea on how the ECU on a C16SE engined Astra calculates load?
I see a TPS and a MAP sensor, this leads me to think it uses both to calculate the load, i.e do the fuelling

If this is the case then fitting itb's should be a possibility with standard management, providing it uses the MAP pressure at low rpm/idle and TPS after a certain point?

Any help would be awesome

Thanks
Sam

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
As you say MAP and TPS are used, I don't think the C16SE has an air temperature sensor unlike the C16XE.

I can't say anyone has ever used standard management on ITBs. Personally I can't see it working particularly well.

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
As you say MAP and TPS are used, I don't think the C16SE has an air temperature sensor unlike the C16XE.

I can't say anyone has ever used standard management on ITBs. Personally I can't see it working particularly well.
Andy,
haha, guess who did try? :) I tried on standard management with my X20XEV remember? Used a piggyback ECU that was suppose to replace the MAF sensor and use calculations based on throttle position etc. was a dbilas alpha-N unit. Worked ok at anything over 4000k (kinda) lol and also used to shoot flames and shotgun fire under frequently, totally undrivable (but drove it for a good few month as it was my daily and i had no choice!). Fuel was ok at 4K but below was almost like the throttle position wasnt set so did absolutely nothing to fuel.

...Then I went aftermarket management on omex 600 and decided to pretend the above never happened.

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
So obviously the above was different in that I had a MAF but really the best way will be standalone..... You could try it but at the very least you will need to get yourself a wideband and gauge to make sure you dont kill your engine but ultimately I think you'll end up the standalone route to get it running properly.

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
Yes I do remember that now Leon haha. I was going to do similar on my X16XEL but it never happened :p
lol, fun times..... I've done it all with my poor X20XEV. Shocked I've only melted pistons once really

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Basically yep. If you're going to the effort of fitting ITBs then you want standalone to get the best out of them. You may be able to get it drive-able on standard management but, what would be the point?

Reaction score
Basically yep. If you're going to the effort of fitting ITBs then you want standalone to get the best out of them. You may be able to get it drive-able on standard management but, what would be the point?
Yeah that makes the most sense, it's always going to be the worst case of it working on standard management eh, and I've only just got it fuelling right as it left the factory lol

Seeing the TPS and the MAP just made me think of how it worked really and theres something cool to me about the MPI 1.6, don't know what though

I'll just use it as is. And get around to pulling the Saab apart.

Reaction score
They make a wicked noise, was the small block I wanted if I could have chosen

Mines a little tired at 160k and the injectors are super noisy, but its great to be back in a mk3 again

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score

It has an air temp sensor at the passenger's end of the inlet manifold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)