Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

C20XE Mods

Reaction score
hiya if you havent seen my newbie thread then hello! i've finally bought an xe from a guy off png, picking it up tomo and the other half is hopefully guna put it in sometime over the next couple of weeks, just wondering, if anyone can suggest some quick mods that dont cost too much but are effective if that makes sense?! lol bf has suggested throttlebodies or carbs, just wondered what other ppl have done to their xe's??

Reaction score
Id start by proving it out first. Get it in and running with a full service and cambelt/waterpump swap. Then run it for a few weeks to check its healthy and keep an eye on water/ oil consumption. If its nice and strong id look into the mods then.

Reaction score
no too sure what to do for mods as ive always stayed standard. Wouldnt go for a cone filter though, they suck hot air from the engine bay and make it cut out. Put a performance filter in the standard air box. Definately do a de-cat, think people will suggest induction, exhaust, cams and ECU chip.

Reaction score
Id start by proving it out first. Get it in and running with a full service and cambelt/waterpump swap. Then run it for a few weeks to check its healthy and keep an eye on water/ oil consumption. If its nice and strong id look into the mods then.

I have to agree with the above, thats sound advice:nod:.
I know a decent panel filter, decat pipe and full exhaust system, made a noticable difference in my old xe calibra.
Good luck with it.

Reaction score
well the exhaust is already sorted, the car used to have a let in it and its got a 3" custom system all the way through, didnt think about a panel filter though - i would have put an induction kit on it so thanks for that one! i would love to chip my ecu but my boyfriend would shoot me lol he hates chips with a passion unless there on his nova turbo lol what can i do with the cams??

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
cams give more performance top end dependin what cam u buy, depends if u know what ur doin thou as they need to be fitted etc, as said get the thing runnin first, there are alot of unhealthy redtops out there which tap from cold indicating oil pick up partially blocked, sludge in sump, engine needs a clean out

just go with the zorst and panel filter for now

as for no chip cause ur bf said so, get some balls lol

Reaction score
my XE tapped for years from cold. I left it alone thinking id do it when the tapping was constant. When i changed my sump gasket the tapping went away 99.9%! It tapped away for a good 60k after it started, wish i'd have looked at the sump sooner

Reaction score
well the exhaust is already sorted, the car used to have a let in it and its got a 3" custom system all the way through

IMO 3" might be a bit overkill for an XE, may even loose power :tape: you'd probly be better off with 2.5" at the most :nod:

other than that, panel filter in standard box, decat and cams and a remap are all good ideas.

after that your onto carbs or throttle boddies but then you get talking £££.

as said, just get her running well for a few weeks to settle in and make sure you have a healthy engine to start with. id also surgest getting a dyno power run done too to see how close to the standard book figures you are to start with :nod:

Reaction score
is 3" turbo to back box ok for let? Only I have 2.5" but wan't 3" all the way :flame: don't wanna lose power though.

Joker

Reaction score
for a LET 3" is fine. on a turbo car you want to go for the biggest size you can after the turbo so you have as little back pressure as posible to help spool-up.

you wont loose power on a turbo car from having an exhaust thats too big, there will however come a point where you no longer get any benefits from it, just more noise. (eg. if your only running 200bhp then 2.5 would flow perfectly well, going to 3" would just be more noisy)

on a N/A car having a missive exhaust however will loose power but not because of a lack of backpressure!! its because of a lack of exhaust velocity. exhaust velosity helps draw the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder. meaning you dont use as much valuable power on the exhaust stroke "pushing" the gasses out.

buy having a larger bore size the exhaust gas moves slower so exhaust velocity is reduced.... by having a small bore size the gasses move faster so exhaust velocity is increased (good) but by having a small bore you increase back pressure (bad) which quickly outweighs any gains from exhaust velosity. on an N/A car you have to find a happy mid point where you can get good power :nod:

Reaction score
with the exhaust bein so big, its really tight underneath, theres barely a mm either side so i do think 2.5" would be better and sit more comfortably.
pmsl its not that i dont have balls to tell him otherwise, hes the one doin all the work! he reckons a group n rally spec will be really good but hes not a fan of the general superchips most people seem to get off ebay.
i was havin a quick look at cams and stuff last night on qed, they're not as pricey as i thought they would be to be honest!

Reaction score
larger bore exhaust manifolds work well on the c20xe's & Courtenay sport will re-profile the standard cams for a couple hundred notes which is well worth it imo.

Reaction score
cool, well i'll soon see if it does work well, picked the engine up from ashford in kent (what a trek!!) last night and it should hopefully be in by sat morn, if it is, might pop along to the east mids meet thats on sat :) whats ppls thorts on dta management? considering savin up for it then if i do decide to run throttlebodies when im feelin rich, its all there ready

Reaction score
no idea on the management myself, R1 bike carbs are quite a popular choice for decent power gains too, they are quite cost effective.

Reaction score
yeh i've come across quite alot of bike carbed engines, is there alot of messin about involved??

Reaction score
yeh i've come across quite alot of bike carbed engines, is there alot of messin about involved??

I'm running R1 bike carbs on my XE at the mo, and found them a fairly easy conversion.
You'll need a manifold, Bogg bros do them for about £190(nice bit of kit), a set of bike carbs anywhere between £75 - £150 is a reasonable price and an ignition kit.
I used a H&H ignition kit and they're £250 all in and are pretty easy to set up.
Other little bits you'd want are throttle cable( I used a mountain bike brake cable), choke cable and some sort of air filter setup.
And I think thats about it, try searching ''bike carbs, total vauxhall'' theres a good guide on whats needed and how to setup them up:nod:.

Reaction score
in my XE ive got:

unground early crank
steel rods
CP slipper pistons
arp rod and flywheel bolts, arp main studs
lightened fly
helix 4 paddle clutch
1.3 cometic gasket

REC wasted valves
dual springs
steel caps
colsibro guides
arrow solid lifters
newman full race cams
SBS head studs
ported/polished etc

QED DTH throttle bodies

tony law ex manifold(2.5inch finish)

but thats about £7k in just parts lol but will be about 260-270bhp

ive just done a resonable XE in a mates westfield:

steel rods, wossner pistons, 1.3mm cometic gasket, ported the head and fitted some newman 270 cams, with R1 carbs, megajolt and a tony law system/manifold made 190bhp@wheels which based on 18% losses is 225bhp at the flywheel, engine to build would cost maybe £3k with the parts, but 225bhp XE for that price is really good value. peaks power just over 6k and limiter set to 7k and the thing is silly quick. bike carbs are **** easy to setup and very cheap to buy to be fair and better midrange than what a weber carb is any day of the week and both give the same peak power so win win really. less parts to go wrong with the bike carbs too.

if need bits or anything drop me a pm

Users who are viewing this thread