Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Central locking

Best answers
Reaction score
Looking for advice, my 3 door Astra is a economy model and has no central locking. I would like to rectify this and have seen many kits on ebay but am unsure which to choose. I would like a good quality kit as it is security, any ideas? thanks

Hi, welcome to MK3OC.

Quite a few mk3's came with the wiring in place for central locking, and if yours does, the best option would be to fit that rather than an aftermarket kit. The best thing to do would be to remove the plastic trim in the drivers footwell, where the bonnet release is. Behind that there's some foam which you can pull back and there's a recess in the metal which houses the central locking control unit. Hopefully next to that will be a wiring plug there.

This is the central locking unit: VAUXHALL ASTRA F MK3 CENTRAL LOCKING ECU MODUAL 1993 TO 1998 SHAPE | eBay

If the wiring is there for that, then good news as the wiring is in the main car wiring loom. The only other thing is the wiring in the door itself, sometimes you might find that you will need to change the wiring inside the door, but that's a pretty simple job.

If you don't have any wiring in the car, it'll be quite an involved job fitting original or aftermarket central locking really.

Thanks for the welcome and for your advice, mine must be the economy version as I looked where you said and no plug, looks like plan B a kit from ebay :hmmm:

That's unfortunate. Just beware that an aftermarket kit will still require a fair bit of wiring, including getting the wiring into the doors. Plus the aftermarket locking motors may not be an easy fit. Personally I don't think I would bother as it would be an awful lot of hassle.

My brother fitted an RClick system in his merit, so remote central locking on a car that had nothing as standard, it worked fine for a bit, but it was a big faff getting it in, and the motors got tired quickly and struggled to unlock the doors. Just lean over to open the other door like I do :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back