Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Cesaro 1.8 Accident Damage. Is it Repairable ?

Best answers
Reaction score
My Astra got damaged a week ago. Absolutely gutted. Owned for 24 Years. Best car I've ever owned. Got hit by someone else. Heavy damage to O/S Rear Wing and Lower Valance. Rear O/S door how catching slightly as the door is opened and closed. Would hate to see her go. I know, even if is was repairable, it wouldn't be cheap but who can i get to thoroughly look over it and give me an honest opinion wether it can be fixed or not before making a decision.
Any pointers/help on this matter would be really useful.
Thanks

Any pics? Wheres the door catching? I got quoted 1300 to do an arch repair on mine, so you can add a bit on for full quarter and valance, but if its catching because its no longer straight structurally that sounds like a world of expense involving jigs/cutting/welding.

Couple of photos

Attachments

• 20210325_152709.jpg
    20210325_152709.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210325_152700.jpg
    20210325_152700.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 14
Couple more photos

Attachments

• 20210320_104619.jpg
    20210320_104619.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210320_104610.jpg
    20210320_104610.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 10
Repairable... Yes.

Worth it... That’s up to you.

Take all of this with a pinch of salt, as I’m no expert in body repair or the costs.
TBH I think your best play is to go out and get some quotes, I believe lot of body places do free estimates.

It’s certainly a write off I’d imagine. I smashed my driver’s side rear door a couple of years back, but didn’t go through the insurance as I knew they’d write it off (even with it being a relatively easy repair, it’s still only an old 500 quid astra in their eyes).

It’s hard to tell properly just by looking at the pics, but you might be lucky in that the impact may of just kinked the outer skin of the rear quarter forwards onto the door, and the door/frame itself is ok. But there’s a potential for damage to the inner panels behind it.

Getting hold of the parts second hand to save money shouldn’t be too difficult if you can find a decent scrap car to get them off. The problem though is not the price of the parts, it’s the labour for welding/prepping/painting that really screws you deep.
For example, you could get all the parts brand new for, lets say £600, but the time and labour for a bodyshop to cut the old panels off, potentially repair any damage underneath them, straighten brackets/hinges, align and weld the new panels on, filler, prep, then finally paint. You could end up spending, say 3k+ on it.

At the end of the day, as most people would tell you, it all depends on wether you’re willing to spend that sort of money on an old Astra.
But like I said, get some quotes and go from there. It may be a lot cheaper then I’m making out.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy for your message. I know as you said, in most people's eyes its just an old Astra, but when you've had a car in the family ie 24 years there is some kind of bond and so really don't want to loose it. My boy who is now starting to drive always wanted it as soon as it would be possible for him to insure an 1800. I really need to get it properly assessed by a panel beater. From the photo's, a panel beater gave
a rough figure of 2-3k. Its parked up in a garage at the moment, i just need to decide what to do.
I will keep my eyes open on the forum for other MK3 that may come up. It would have to be tidy to buy but would definitely have to consider it. Shame mine was a Cesaro and only made it to 188.000 miles unless something changes.
So yes, it needs accessing before anything else.

Hopefully just a outside panel which you can get and a boot. Issue is the corner needs pulling and is possibly structural. You've then got a lot of labour and well if looking at the pics you'll need to paint the car as it looks like its seen better days.

Down to how deep your pockets or want to spend.

how did the dents in the boot happen?! after 24 years I would be in bits if that happened to my car! I know some people may not think its worth it, but if your super attached to the car, then your gonna have to dig deep and get it repaired. it's gonna need a quarter etc though so gonna cost a fair amount, mayb 1500quid or something.

Repairable... Yes.

Worth it... That’s up to you.

Take all of this with a pinch of salt, as I’m no expert in body repair or the costs.
TBH I think your best play is to go out and get some quotes, I believe lot of body places do free estimates.

It’s certainly a write off I’d imagine. I smashed my driver’s side rear door a couple of years back, but didn’t go through the insurance as I knew they’d write it off (even with it being a relatively easy repair, it’s still only an old 500 quid astra in their eyes).

It’s hard to tell properly just by looking at the pics, but you might be lucky in that the impact may of just kinked the outer skin of the rear quarter forwards onto the door, and the door/frame itself is ok. But there’s a potential for damage to the inner panels behind it.

Getting hold of the parts second hand to save money shouldn’t be too difficult if you can find a decent scrap car to get them off. The problem though is not the price of the parts, it’s the labour for welding/prepping/painting that really screws you deep.
For example, you could get all the parts brand new for, lets say £600, but the time and labour for a bodyshop to cut the old panels off, potentially repair any damage underneath them, straighten brackets/hinges, align and weld the new panels on, filler, prep, then finally paint. You could end up spending, say 3k+ on it.

At the end of the day, as most people would tell you, it all depends on wether you’re willing to spend that sort of money on an old Astra.
But like I said, get some quotes and go from there. It may be a lot cheaper then I’m making out.

Off topic slightly, when are you going to renew your membership andy lol

That is a real shame, I have a rear bumper (Same colour), new wheel arch and indicator lens if you need any parts....

Thanks Andy for your message. I know as you said, in most people's eyes its just an old Astra, but when you've had a car in the family ie 24 years there is some kind of bond and so really don't want to loose it. My boy who is now starting to drive always wanted it as soon as it would be possible for him to insure an 1800. I really need to get it properly assessed by a panel beater. From the photo's, a panel beater gave
a rough figure of 2-3k. Its parked up in a garage at the moment, i just need to decide what to do.
I will keep my eyes open on the forum for other MK3 that may come up. It would have to be tidy to buy but would definitely have to consider it. Shame mine was a Cesaro and only made it to 188.000 miles unless something changes.
So yes, it needs accessing before anything else.

Yeah, I get ya.

I’ve the same feeling for my 3 door that’s been sat rotting in a garage awaiting revival (it’s been waiting since 2012 lol).
If it came to moving on, I’d have a tough time thinking about scraping it as it’s still my first car and have that bond with it that I’m sure most on here share with their ‘rusty old Astras’.

Off topic slightly, when are you going to renew your membership andy lol

Still a jobless bum atm. :(

Actually, while I’m here... Got any spare change mate?

Still a jobless bum atm. :(

Actually, while I’m here... Got any spare change mate?

You not managed to get another delivery job? or is it not that straight forward?

Nobody’s hiring during covid it seems. Hopefully it should pick up again soon. :(

Unfortunately the worst panel on the car to repair that is.

Whether it's worth repairing is something only you can decide as it does outweigh what the car is worth many times over.

Nobody’s hiring during covid it seems. Hopefully it should pick up again soon. :(
we've not stopped employing through out the last year lol

We are busier than ever down at the port Andy and everything get delivered now due to covid! I'm surprised you couldn't just get a delivery job again with amazon or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back