Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Cesaro Restoration

Best answers
Reaction score
Well now the better weather was with us over the last week a start at getting my arms rolled up and stuck in... Wings are nearly of and then it will be sanding of the rust. Some welding needed on the lower inner wings.... Are rear vallence.. oh and new arches.... See how we go

Wings of now..... Front end first.... The rest of the inner wings are really good and that's down to the plastic liners......Just a shame about the ROT at the bottom..... I want to try and get it to standard spec as possible

My Derv rotted at them points really bad, my brother's 1.4 also did the same.... seems pretty common. Mine also needed the upper / inner wings addressing too though (both sides where the suspension cups are seam sealed in).

Attachments

• 1556305562512.png
    1556305562512.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Yes I think we will be plating the area like in your picture, and I think the rear valence will need a couple of small bits doing. when I get onto the back end I will know better.... Top end of the engine rattles a little on start up, will be flushed a few times... its really clean inside the engine... so its been changed regularly....

One that has made me think? Just the simple job of taking the wheels of, yes simple, well wheel brace no chance, so I got the big torque wrench and at a high setting and full force and the wrench was cracking the nuts went... Also the oil filter and brake bleed nipples felt they had been welded on.... It has always been garage serviced I just cannot understand why they tighten things so tight?

Some more progress, wire brushing the rust and removal of the wings... Got new ones to put on... Need to do the front frame...also...

Thanks for that....;)I have the front wings on now, and bled the brakes.... got new struuts for the front and they are away being powder coated with the four new springs. I have the rear of the floor and all the beam axle wire brushed and all rear arches cleared out.... Hole in the left rear arch so that is extra welding... Wheels are away being re-done with centres as well.
Preping the body work for a respray as well..... just time ...........

nice work

Ill try and get some more pics at the weekend.... weather permiting

wheels and centres are done ;)

Try and get the roof rubbed down and beam axle another coat........

Not much done today due to the weather, but the bodywork is getting there , rubbed down with 600, then 1200....
The wheels have returned and the wheel centres done.... James at sutton has done a brilliant job of all four....
Underneath it has had two coates of hammerite, need to get the springs of and shocks and be able to do the mount cups.... that was the plan today but weather stopped play.... when the whole underneath has had two coats it will then get a coat ofSTA60147.JPG black bitumin .....

Just need the shocks on and I'll be happy with the back end bring a little sharper in the corners...

A question about the engine, I know its a common issue, but on cold start the cam followers well one or two are noisy, I have read inn the Haynes manual that they don't really wear? Is it worth getting a new set and can you get away with just removing the cams and no need to remove the head?

All advice appreciated thanks

Nice work :)

It's most likely that the hydraulic lifters are noisy. Quite common, sometimes they quieten down after an oil flush or a bit of use. Failing that, you can remove them and drain the oil out of them, clean them in petrol and blast out with compressed air and that usually sorts them.

Well been a while since I have been on here, I took my car to the bodyshop at Alfreton and the guy there promised me so much and how good he was.... well I left it for a month, called in nothing done, then gave another month and nothing one last go and called in Nov.... still nothing done.... so I have now taken it elsewhere...… He kept giving me promises he couldn't keep...…
It is now being done nearer to Nottingham.... I cannot understand him taking on work he knew he was never going to deliver?

Moving on, the welding first , then arches, … hopefully some pictures will come of the progress..... I will post...…. when I

Just catching up with what's been going on.
Really interested in your restoration project.
I also have a Phase 1 Cesaro 1.8 (L Reg) and a similar colour it looks to yours and have owned it the last 27 years. Not had loads of cars, but it's one of the best cars i have owned. It owes me nothing. Will be careful what i say as i do own an old ford and still love a bit of Classic Ford. Mine is now looking a bit rough around the edges but still being used daily.
188 thousand on the clock and head never been off although engine could now do with a strip and rebuild. Sorry to hear about your bad luck at the bodyshop but hopefully now will get it sorted. Let us know the latest with your Cesaro project.

Hi, good to hear about your car.... I have been down to the garage that is doing the welding work and they are cracking on.... both front inner wings at the bottom have been cut out and new material cut out to shape and ready to weld in..... It is having a new sill on the passenger side, I will take some pics... The guy who is working on the car is pationate about getting it right..... I have also talked to the respray guy today and that looks like late feb to march.... But it will be moving and worked on.... rather tan a cover over it and saying how good it will look......

Great to here things are moving on. Mine needs welding and panels in all the normal places. Ends of both sills just forward of the rear wheels. Cutting and replacing metal work around fuel filler cap. Replacement of both rear wheel arches with pulling out of a deep crease line on n/s rear wing. Most of the rest of the car is o.k ish. Would love to get mine done. I know you get what you pay for, but really don't know who to trust to do a good honest job when you are parting with hard earnt money.

Yes it is having some welding done, I did put some pics of the areas I had cut out... the new place have cut loads more out as they want good clean material to weld to. It is having a new sill on the passenger side , only half a sill but will cut out the rot..... then new pieces in the rear valence.....
It is just a shame today how people mess you around and I certainly have had my fair share from the previous guy.... he even said to me when the car was in bits you wont rush me!!! His son said some cars have been there 4 years...… well enough said....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back