Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Best answers
Reaction score
Hey guys (I've got an Isuzu estate for those of you who dont know), which has been clunking the past 2 months or so...

Basically when I went around a bend there would be a DOONG noise from the O/S/F suspension area. After jackin her up almost 15 times over the past 2 months I've changed the rear bush, tie-rod-end and CV joint and welded a thick plate onto the sub-frame which the wishbone rear bolt (Vertical) goes through (Noticed the whole wasn't a true circle - Maybe this allows the wishbone to move slightly?

Anyway, since I put the plate on the sub-frame the 'DOONG' noise is certainly better but is still present when you lightly stab the brake pedal. It makes a noise whether going up or down a hill or on the flat. It can be felt through the brake pedal and floor pan.

I'd also like to add that when I take the wishbone, strut, etc. out and put them back in, the problem is temporarily gone for 5 mins before predictably returning.

I don't think it's in immediate risk of falling apart or anything but it's just so F***ing irritating!! If I can't sort it I'll have to swallow my pride and take it to the local garage.

Any Ideas? Would much appreciate any suggestions..

Thx in advance..

brake disc loose? top mount gone? is the spring ok?

U say you took the wishbone off and it stop for 5 mins, the bolts used for the wishbones are stretch bolts and the threads can wear there could be play in the bolts. There only ment to be used once, when took off replaced. i done mine and got the bolts from my local vaux dealer cost about £12 in total i think.

Also check your calliper bolts are done up tight.

brake disc loose? top mount gone? is the spring ok?

While I was under the car yday I thought it may be the disc brake so I cleaned all the surfaces (hub, disc brake and contact point on the wheel) while also removing the caliper and mount. When reassembling I tightened everything with a load of nutlock. Again, problem solved for 5 mins..

U say you took the wishbone off and it stop for 5 mins, the bolts used for the wishbones are stretch bolts and the threads can wear there could be play in the bolts. There only ment to be used once, when took off replaced. i done mine and got the bolts from my local vaux dealer cost about £12 in total i think.

Also check your calliper bolts are done up tight.

Thanks for the reply KingLee. I've had the w/bone off bout 5 times since changing the rear bush. The rear vertical bolt was knackered so I replaced it at the same time as the bush. The front horrizontal bolt is about 14yrs old now nd removed about 7 times. As far as I can see neither bolts are stretched - I will run a tap/dye (can never remember which one is which) over it to check for stretch, would u recommend changing them both again?

How do I know if the brake mounts have gone? The holes are still perfectly circular nd have always been done up tight.

Would also like to add that the hole on the sub-frame which the rear bolt goes through is about 13mm in diameter while the largest part of taper on the rear bolt is 12mm. Could this be it?

Last edited:
It may not look like its been streched because the thread doesnt strech. Its like head bolts mate, when they have been used they are streched out to make sure that they dont come loose. The bolts MUST be replaced when theyve been undone or they will never go as tight again. A clunck is usualy down to a rubber bushing failure but one thing that ive noticed on mine is that the backbox actually bangs off the chassis making the sound that sounds like bush fail

No luck, put new front and rear bolts on and it was much better for a little while before returning to just like before. I had the tracking done today and they rekon'd there was a little play in the rear d/side bush and that the p/side rear bush was "hangin'"?? The bush is lk 6mnths old ?

This is so irritating :@

change the bushes and try againa mate, depending on where you get the bushes from depends on how long they last!

Also if you get it done at a garage, check they actually did it!

Finally sorted.

After lying under the car for 10 mins rethinking my strategy I decided to go back nd look at everything again.

Turns out it was actually the brake pad. For whatever reason the inner pad had room to move between the bracket and caliper. A little bit of welding on the pad edges and it's great!

Thx 4 ur help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back