Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

clutch problem

Best answers
Reaction score
i think my clutch is goin but im not 100% sure. the bitting point is pretty high. i dont know when it was last changed. is there anythin i could do to try and adjust it or should i just get it replaced?

how much should i be looking to pay to replace it?

Thanks, Rob

hi mate, welcome to mk3oc, you can try adjusting it first which you are able to do ontop of the box where the clutch cable is, you will see a threaded part to which the bolt can be turned to adjust the clutch, it helps to have someone hold the clutch pedal up so its easier to wind the bolt in.

if this dont cure the problem then it may well be your clutch is going.

depending what gearbox you have it can be a big job and costly

does it crunch or is it hard to put it into gear??

Mine sits abot 2 inches higher atm. I think it is the circlip that holds the adjust cable has gone, going to replac with a nut tomorrow to see if that will hold the pedal level.

sorry i never mentioned the engine. its a 1.4 8v thats done 104000 miles, there isnt any crunching or struggling for the gears yet i dont think, the pedal is very soft to press and its roughly a inch above the brake peddle at the moment. i might try to adjust it if you think i should, or do you think its 2 far gone already?

you can adjust it, thats what the adjuster is there for mate, it may be fine once its been adjusted and the pedal will sit in correct place, if the clutch isnt making any noise, or box isnt grinding then i would say it just needs adjusting

when i press the clutch peddle down i can hear a slight whistling kinda noice. is that a bad thing?

when you say the peddle will sit in the correct place whee is that? level with the brake pedal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back