Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Computer problems.... sloooooooooooow!

Best answers
Reaction score
I need more computer help from you wizz's out there!

I've been having problems lately, its just been very slow! I have done the usual virus/spyware scans etc and all is clear so I'm fairly happy on that front.

My CPU usage barely drops below 100%, I keep ending processes (no idea what half of them are though!) but its making little difference tbh, what can I do to solve this??

Any help would be great, but bare in mind I know nothing about computers so talk to me like I'm dumb please :nod: :lol:

how long has it been like this? also can you relate it to anything? like a software you installed or a tool bar something like that

Maybe do a format??? What process is runnin at that?? Maybe switch it off and back on again :lol:

i had this before and a format cured it

As andy said, it'll be a service that's running and hogging the cpu, we have issues with this at work a lot, usualy caused by the windows update service hanging

Also maybe a background scan or is that what you was saying??? Hmmmm?

have you clogged the comp up over time putting loads of crap on it, that the thing that most poaple do, you could do a reinstall but you will just have the same problem again over time, check what memory you have in the comp. i.e 512mb or 1gig, you could get a memory up grade, how old is the comp are you running ddr1 memory or ddr2 memory, if its a newish comp it will be ddr2 and easyer to upgrade, let me know how many sticks of memory you have in the comp, they are the long green sticks, there should be 4 slots on the motherborad see how many slots are free as i can get memory cheaper im going to a comp fair sunday as i buy and sell computers

i agree with neal here!

it_more_ram.jpg

you need mor ram!

looks like this!

ram.jpg

Throwing more ram or any upgrades at it are only going to mask the problem, the issue will still exist just not be so noticeable. However if the issue gets addressed then the current spec will more than suffice, as it's only recently John's had these issues and as he has already pointed out the CPU is being maxed out by something, it is now a case of finding the cause and sorting it

Throwing more ram or any upgrades at it are only going to mask the problem, the issue will still exist just not be so noticeable. However if the issue gets addressed then the current spec will more than suffice, as it's only recently John's had these issues and as he has already pointed out the CPU is being maxed out by something, it is now a case of finding the cause and sorting it

that could be a number of things, but the mane one is when poaple try to run a program that the computer is not powerfull enough to take i.e the CPU, but if someone is not clued up about computers then its hard to explaine to them. if a comp is running slow then i allways goto the ram, but in this case its the CPU, we will have to know what CPU it is how big is it, then find out what programs he is running on it to see why its maxing out, my dad and me have been biuling computers for years and this is a commen problem

Doesn't matter what CPU it is, if a program running in the background is locking up or something then it can easily use 100% CPU, whether it be a Pentium 3 or an i7.

Like I said before, first thing to look at is what process if using up the CPU. No need to start throwing money at RAM just yet.

Im currently looking into what's eating up the cpu, its only started doing it in the last week or so, I haven't download or installed anything new, I do store a lot of high res photos etc so I moved them all to my spare separate hard drive but its made no difference.

Its dell laptop around 2 years old, cant remember the spec without looking but it was half decent when I got it.

Its currently taking around 5 minutes just to open the task manager window! will report back soon, but thanks for all the replies so far guys!

Top few are:

Windows task manager - around 44
Host process for windows - around 40 (although at least 12 of these pop up)

anything else is 1 or 2 tops and only reads 1 or 2 for a second...

around 80 processes are going and using 60% physical memory..

About 12 of them is normal. Although them using up CPU is quite often due to a virus, although there are many possible causes.

80 processes in total is a lot though, even with 5 programs running I have 56 processes.

If you're on XP: Start > Run > Type: msconfig > Ok

Vista/W7: Type in search box: msconfig > Press return key

Then under the startup tab, untick anything you don't need. You should be left with any anti-virus programs and anything else you want to stat up.. take a look at mine..

9cdfb60c.png

that could be a number of things, but the mane one is when poaple try to run a program that the computer is not powerfull enough to take i.e the CPU, but if someone is not clued up about computers then its hard to explaine to them. if a comp is running slow then i allways goto the ram, but in this case its the CPU, we will have to know what CPU it is how big is it, then find out what programs he is running on it to see why its maxing out, my dad and me have been biuling computers for years and this is a commen problem

That's irrelevant to the questions John is asking as he has given all the info needed. Nothings changed on his setup, so no new program to max it out. Prgams on their own will very rarely max a CPU out it's the proceses and services they need to operate that cause it.

Doing IT support for 8 years has shown 90% of CPU max outs are caused by Windows inbuilt services hanging or failing.

Top few are:

Windows task manager - around 44
Host process for windows - around 40 (although at least 12 of these pop up)

anything else is 1 or 2 tops and only reads 1 or 2 for a second...

Can you post a screenshot of your Task Manager processes tab (sorted by cpu useage) and also the performance tab? I'm not convinced it's going to be caused by a startup program as sounds to me like it could be a Windows process or service hanging (quite common on XP and windows 2000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back