Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Converting to manual brakes (Braking without using the brake booster)

Reaction score
Hi All,
I need to convert my brakes to manual brakes. has anyone here done this before? Any advise?

Cheers :)

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Guessing rally car?

You'll need a pedal box, Rallydesign do some stuff.

Reaction score
Guessing rally car?

You'll need a pedal box, Rallydesign do some stuff.

Well a track car yes.
I actually managed to find a guy who will build an adapter plate for me, but I'll look into your suggestion as well.

Thanks a lot for the info. :)

Reaction score
As above you require a pedal box. My Astra mk2 track car has a pedal box fitted and the Astra mk3 uses the exact same fittings to give you an idea see my pics below. I bought this kit in 2006 and looks like the company who made mine no longer exist but you could try contacting Performance Car Parts | Racing Motorsports Spares UK | CompBrake as I know they made a very similar setup for the Astra mk2/mk3 and still exist as a company. It's a direct bolt on to replace the servo assist and has in-dash bias adjustment. I run Girling .625in front and .700in rear m/c and the feel and control you get on circuit is amazing but that's also down to brake pad compound and your own setup. My front disks are 285mm (Sierra Cosworth modified) diameter with Hi-Spec 4-pots and Mintex F4r pads (amazing compound) with rears being standard 260mm disks and GTE 16v/GSI 16v ATE 2-pot calipers and any make/model/spec age pad that fits. Don't forget the really important part and that's to use proper dot4 racing brake fluid like Motul600 or 660, you don't need to go at high as Motul700 for a light Astra but choosing the correct spec fluid is paramount.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
As above you require a pedal box. My Astra mk2 track car has a pedal box fitted and the Astra mk3 uses the exact same fittings to give you an idea see my pics below. I bought this kit in 2006 and looks like the company who made mine no longer exist but you could try contacting Performance Car Parts | Racing Motorsports Spares UK | CompBrake as I know they made a very similar setup for the Astra mk2/mk3 and still exist as a company. It's a direct bolt on to replace the servo assist and has in-dash bias adjustment. I run Girling .625in front and .700in rear m/c and the feel and control you get on circuit is amazing but that's also down to brake pad compound and your own setup. My front disks are 285mm (Sierra Cosworth modified) diameter with Hi-Spec 4-pots and Mintex F4r pads (amazing compound) with rears being standard 260mm disks and GTE 16v/GSI 16v ATE 2-pot calipers and any make/model/spec age pad that fits. Don't forget the really important part and that's to use proper dot4 racing brake fluid like Motul600 or 660, you don't need to go at high as Motul700 for a light Astra but choosing the correct spec fluid is paramount.

I have been tempted to ditch my OE setup for this you know. How does the pedal box fit inside the car? Or do you have the OE pedals still and this just attaches to the brake pedal? I reckon this could still go to the OE ABS pump too

Last edited:
Reaction score

Thank you very much for this info :). I did some google searching an there are a few companies making these pedal boxes.

Reaction score
I have been tempted to ditch my OE setup for this you know. How does the pedal box fit inside the car? Or do you have the OE pedals still and this just attaches to the brake pedal? I reckon this could still go to the OE ABS pump too
I would never want to race a car with a brake booster. You just can't feel what the brakes are doing. having said that. I would never want to drive on the road without a brake booster. Just too unpleasant!! ;)

Reaction score
Internal fittings are the original including the pedal, I can get you some pics inside if you want. Agreed ABS would still function should you wish to keep it. You quickly get use to the pedal feel but it's very weird at first.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Internal fittings are the original including the pedal, I can get you some pics inside if you want. Agreed ABS would still function should you wish to keep it. You quickly get use to the pedal feel but it's very weird at first.

yea please mate, would be useful!

I actually found with mine the 4 pots made the pedal feel alot better along with the obvious performance gains, but a big part of it was having the right pads aswell. My pedal was very soft, but after a smashing round the nurburgring, the pedal is brilliant now. Must of been the pads being glazed

Reaction score
As you can see my pedal box retains the OE clevis & yoke setup plus the manufacturers pivot point so no redrilling required. The extra spring is to ensure the brake pedal returns to the correct rest position as I occasionally had m/c push rods not returning fully but this was also not helped with slight binding in the pedal box pivot mechanism, lubing sorted that but left the return spring as a fail-safe & never had the issue return.

20220807_090512.jpg

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
awesome mate! Really interesting!

Here is another question for you harvey , have you looked into ball joint correction at all? I've been day dreaming about this for a long time now, with a lowered mk3, the arm is dead straight in normal ride height, so during cornering, the outer wheel looses camber which is the opposite to what you want! There is plenty of room even on 15 inch wheels so deffo do able.

Reaction score

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
DavebGsi you could try looking at uniballs from Super FWD, check out these links as they have offset bjs & full rose joint front arms. I'm sure they could make you something custom to your own spec as well.

Well god damn, I know you have a lot of caster because of your arms, but those look ideal for a normal wishbone setup. Mine is still a road car so the rose jointed arms are a step too far, but those rose joints with the longer pins could be really good. I think I'll send them an email, I don't want my front wheel to be visibly further forward in the arch though as it will look naff for what is a car that I car about the looks and don't want to compromise for gains lol. very vein I know :lol:

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
harvey Ive sent them an email asking about a longer ball joint to drop the arm and a uniball bracket with little or not caster gain

Users who are viewing this thread