Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Cutting out when stopping and then takeing ages to start???

joycey

South Central Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if any of you lot could put your finger on this problem as it sounds familiar but i cant think of wots causeing it? :(

The car drives fine most of the time but recently as you come to a stop it cuts out? and then takes longer than normal to start again but once it dose its fine? The engine is a 1.6 spi

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Could also be the idle control valve, take it off and give it a good clean, see if it's any better.

TMODAlpha

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
I had this with a 1.4 spi. I cleaned ICV checked for air leaks etc. It got worse and worse, then i changed the coil and ignition control module not had the problem since. Worth checking.

Reaction score
i had this and it was the crank sensor and the cam sensor changed both and it was fine

TMODAlpha

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
LOL soooo to put a finger on it ,, you got a choice between:

coil pack
crank sensor
cam sensor
coil and ignition control module
ICV
airflow meter

Good luck :)

:lol:

On a plus side its a 1.6 SPi so it shouldnt have a cam sensor or airflow meter (uses a MAP).

but..

Could also be compression (head gasket)

Last edited:

joycey

Reaction score
Ok this problem has now gotten even worse as when you try to start the car it just turns over and over and wont fire up?

I sold this car to a friend to get them to work and now its being a fcking piece s****!

:doh:

Reaction score
i had the sam problem on my old astra it was the ignition control moudle once changed it never cut out again and i also changed the coil at the same time so id be puttin money on these

Reaction score
Lol cheers for this Joycey, I now own this peice of scrap :P

Anyway, reading the above I reckon its the coil pack! I'm getting an intermittent misfire aswell.

Reaction score
yep get the coil changed a misfire may alos be the leads or plugs but with the symtoms described by joycey it sound exaclty like my old astra all i changed was ignition control module and coil pack

Reaction score
Speedo is fine!

Its a misfire on the second closet cylinder to the flywheel, spark plug is fine, lead looks ok, but its caked in oil and **** on the socket on the coil pack!

how much is a new coil pack roughly?

joycey

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread