Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

D.I.Y Grill slats (Gone is the mesh)

Best answers
Reaction score
Not shure if this has been done before but I havent seen it on a astra grill before...

What do you think ?

Grill111.jpg

I used some 15mm copper pipe to create some nice grill slats now the best part is its cheap to do ,anyone can do it and gets rid of the horid mesh once and for all..

You can get chrome copper tube and stainlessteel etc if you want bling bling also you can use it on the gsi or big mouth bumper to give a matching look..

I'll post a quick how when I get time...

:w00t: nice work mate that looks ace.....**rippin my grill off and throwing the mesh away**lol

Did a test fit ..bonnet ,bumpers,grill are just sitting on thats why it looks off

As the slats sit so far back in the grill its not as "in your face" as some slated grills and looks stealthy mean..

crap'y cam phone pic's.I will get some better ones when finished........
Jim0333.jpg

Also as you can see the fog light have been smoked ...And when the jet black projector head lights go in it'll finish it of nice..

I love to experiment..some times to much..

Also as its copper pipe you can put a slight bend in it so it folows the slight curve of the astra grill .. OH! and another tip is you can fill the pipe with M12 threaded bar etc etc to add strength on long lenths over 2ft..

AL said:
That looks really rather smart!

Make sure the copper is V.well painted, and is sealed at both ends though - otherwise it'll rust like ****ery!

does copper rust ?

As a plumber to trade the copper tube used in domestic plumbing comes in three types X Y Z hard,normal and soft

I used normal 15mm copper pipe ..it will not rot or rust , The unpainted inside will howerver start to oxidise and turn dark but this helps protect the pipe ...

You might get a small amount of green corrosion on the unpainted parts but only if the pipe comes in contact with harch acids/alkalines

Last edited:
astragsiii said:
hoe u get the debadged grill?

Just got a cheapo repo gsi abs grill..£29
http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/en-gb/dept_759.html
V0118210.jpg

Saw off the old slats and bottom of the badge seat and fill smooth with filler then prep and paint..

To insert the copper pipe slats just heat the end of the pipe and it will melt a neet hole in the plastic, Thread in the pipe dab PU adhesive (silkaflex etc) on the back and your done.

That looks wicked, fair play. i might have a go at that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back