Dave b's VXR Powered Gsi Diary

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Love what you did with the rear brakes need to do mine but not had chance, may try making one of them rust bath things. Love the sun rise photo!

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Aweome work on the brakes. You're lucky to have access to that stuff at work. DIY that stuff at home takes hours and hours :( The backplates aren't bad at all tho, I had mine powder coated and there were a few tiny holes but like you say it's just a cover so there's no need for any strength in it.

And yeah hammerite is amazing :lol: Getting new brake shoes?

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Aweome work on the brakes. You're lucky to have access to that stuff at work. DIY that stuff at home takes hours and hours :( The backplates aren't bad at all tho, I had mine powder coated and there were a few tiny holes but like you say it's just a cover so there's no need for any strength in it.

And yeah hammerite is amazing :lol: Getting new brake shoes?
Not sure whether to bother tbh, they look old, but zero wear cause their only holding brakes. I didn't put them throu the cleaner incase I wanted to keep them haha.
I reckon I may just clean, paint and refit. No need.
All the springs etc are pretty bad thou so gonna replace what I can

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Not sure whether to bother tbh, they look old, but zero wear cause their only holding brakes. I didn't put them throu the cleaner incase I wanted to keep them haha.
I reckon I may just clean, paint and refit. No need.
All the springs etc are pretty bad thou so gonna replace what I can
Yeah fair point, they don't really wear out unless they seize up and stick on.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Got out in the workshop last night, was good to get out there for a few hours! Weather was rubbish and i had a bit of spare time.

decided to have a look at the inner door sill, made a hole in it last time and discovered its actually double skinned and inbetween the skins was just brown :lol:
So i cut it out!

luckily didn't have to cut very high up to get to decent metal, so i will weld a new sheet in and weld a sheet to that to keep the double skin that was already there and keep the strength. Also this part is where i weld my bar too! At least it will make that easier being new :lol:

I decided to cut slightly higher and have a look inside the axle box section, In the past i have notice some flakey rust falling out of the drain hole, but had a look and its just surface rust :thumb: so i'll treat that while its apart and spray some wax oil in it at the end like i am going to do with everything.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Spent a day on this today! first time in a long time and really starting to get somewhere!

underside is nearly clean

So just left with alot of holes to fill :lol:

one in the floor

anddddd this mess

Yep, thats the seatbelt lol

It gonna be done once and its got to be right! So I just kept cutting untill there was no more rust! It looks a bit rusty still but that is a minor bit left that just needs sorting. But i am nearly at the point of not cutting anymore off the car :lol:

So i finish stripping the interior as i have internal welding to do now!

Was also left with a massive pile of astra....

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
Did you sweep up a ford off the floor? You should have a bit more free astra time now

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Did you sweep up a ford off the floor? You should have a bit more free astra time now
We take the **** out of these old fords but we are just as bad :Cry:

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
True, that's why plenty of underseal is used an everything cleaned an painted

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
Good progress mate, will be well worth it once its all done :)

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
At this point it probably feels like there's a lot of work ahead but to be honest cutting out the bad parts and getting to the point of having a clear focus on the way forward is what takes the most time imo.... You'll be surprised how quick you can move on now.

Keep the updates coming :thumb:

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Looking good Dave, to be fair it doesn't look like it's got much worse since I had a peer around in it, how many years ago? 6 or 7?

Yea gotta be at least something like that, I had a poke around the pockets you made and that all seems pretty solid, so top job there ;)
gonna be taking it back to check anyways though cause i wanna blast the whole thing with protection, then i know its good for life! I dare say nearly all the rust i found, the damage had been done before i even owned the car!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)