Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Dave b's VXR Powered Gsi Diary

Reaction score
Had you thought about getting the exhaust manifold ceramic coated? It'll certainly help keep the under bonnet temps down and more to the point look amazing for that authentic OCD pleasure :biggrin:

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Very amazing work Dave - That engine is looking really good man!

Is that inlet plenum standard? Would it fit an XE ? :hmmm::biggrin:
Hello mate, just seen this reply! Not standard no, the standard one wouldn't flow the boost level above 4500rpm so this is an EDS inlet manifold. I'm 99% sure it won't fit mate. The inlet ports are a different shape. XE is just an oval ( which is a better shape for power) where as the LEH is oval with a teardrop at the top for the injector.

This is a genuine EDS manifold because I wasn't surely on the quality of the fakes, but all these years late would seem their pretty good!

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Had you thought about getting the exhaust manifold ceramic coated? It'll certainly help keep the under bonnet temps down and more to the point look amazing for that authentic OCD pleasure :biggrin:
I often thought about getting it ceramic coated, but I do like having a glowing manifold!

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
So next, my harry hockley engine mount turned up, sexy bit of kit. but also still a rubber bush. I don't wanna any crazy vibration in the car!

So I was there, ready for the gearbox to go in. I toyed with the idea of respraying the gearbox again, but I think its not worth it, so I bought some touch up paint for now and will attack that with it in the car. I threw some hammerite inside the bellhousing though to make it easy to clean

Gearbox on, and engine ready to go in!

Now the ides behind this is everything forward of the A pillar doesn't need spraying, but also I'm running short on room, I want to work on the megane track car over the winter etc. So engine is going to go in, and why not! wrapped in plastic, fit everything else, shafts etc get the car on it wheels, roll it out, clean the workshop and flat the car outside, keep the dust outside etc. A challenge now its winter lol. But i should be good to spray in a few weeks if i do before the bitter cold appears.

So in went the engine...

gearbox mount is brand new OE with poly insert

Finally got it to this stage

then I could drop the car onto the engine. this too about 4 hours all this update haha. But I got it in without a single scratch. And that is priceless!!

The rachet strap was to support the rear of the gearbox on the strut brace. All mk3 people know how much weight there is on the subframe in a mk3. So held it up so I could fit the subframe etc. Few nights later, subframe, driveshafts etc everything in.

Now a fair while back, I couldn't get the track rod ends out of the knuckle. Tried using an air hammer and everything! No joy! So eventually I thought **** it and left them in, took the arm off the adjuster and left the rod end in etc.

Well right at the end of rebuilding the suspension, I went to put the wheel on and realised I have never dont the nut back up on the track rod! Lucky!!
So gave it a zap with the impact gun...

How boring is that! I had to drill the thing out to get it out the knuckle! Madness, but when i inspected it, this side sheered and the other side had a crack all the way up it! scary! Remeber kids, if u air hammer something, IT NEEDS REPLACING!

I'll get more picture when I get a chance, the new rack ends need to go on and then the wheels can go on! Pretty exctiing!

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I also got this done, standard thermostat housing, had a boss welded on it so I could fit a dry break connector for an engine heater.
This sounds kinda sad and pointless but bear with me. I got the idea from the touring cars I work on.

The idea is have an engine pre- heater i can stick on the engine when i get home, powered off a WIFI plug. set a timer, pre heat the engine so its ready straight away for a spirited drive, or ready quicker at least! Also helps reduce engine wear and makes the car easier to drive out the garage at 5am and not wake the neighbours up having a high idle etc lol.

Pressure tested the fitting before powdercoating. Yes I know the big spike is mega random lol

Incase ur wondering, the spike is the centre support off the lathe at work lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)