Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Diesel engine swap - Bigger than 1.7?

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are any other Diesel engines that go into a mk3? Other than the gm & Isuzu 1.7's?

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
I've seen people put the y17DT engine from the mk4 into a mk3, shouldn't be too much of a hassle to fit the y20dth then

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure vectra came as a 2.0td and the frontera as a 2.5td?

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
Fronteras were 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 IIRC, but obviously different gearbox, and the whole lot was mounted facing sideways.

Probably best to avoid 4x4 or RWD related engines.

For insurance reasons sticking with Vauxhall is best. Later Astra engines would be ideal.

Did they do diesel Omegas?

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
Omega's had big 2.5L diesels, but they're huge blocks and very unreliable.

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
Oh! Omega's did have the X20DTH's.

All the other diesels are BMW's 2.5L straight six diesels

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Anything is doable. The more modern diesels have more complex wiring though. Stick with old school diesels that need 3 wires and a fuel supply :p 1.9cdti has been done in a Corsa B, which I think would be quite nice in a mk3 actually. But not a 2 minute job by any means.

Reaction score
I want a simple old school diesel turbo but bigger than 1.7 so that could be a x20dth? I intend to get a donor car then swap the lot over to make things easy. I'm not so interested in the y20's and their complex wiring. I wonder if there is a 2.0 Isuzu variant as I hear the Isuzu lumps are very moddable. More bhp is the end gain here but can't afford petrol running costs.

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
X20DTH were sold with the older Vectra's,

Looks like it's the same engine as the Y20DTH.

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
The 2.2 was on the last facelift, and also an option on the vectra. But there was a 3.0 diesel on the vectra which i was sure was an Isuzu?

Reaction score
Whats the main reason for wanting bigger than the 1.7s? The isuzu have VERY good pull

Reaction score
The main reason is for more power. More speed. My van is rarely loaded with any weight but feels very sluggish. I'm used to my c20xe, I'd be happy with 100bhp I think but would also love an engine I can mod.

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
If you want better acceleration, then I'd say drop a 1.7 Izusu lump in there, and tweek the pump. Anything else will be massive headache and costs for minimal improvement.

I could be tempted either way with mine, 1.5 or over 1.7. But I'd want load-lugging torque, and loads of it.

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
You'd want the isuzu lump, big block. they pull like mad.

One of the best 90's 1.7 diesels out there!

Reaction score
You could spend that much time messing around trying to get a newer larger diesel engine in that it wouldn't offset the cost of just having a petrol engine. The best and easiest option for you is as stated, put the 1.7 isuzu engine in and fanny about with the fuel pump etc. Everyone will rave and tell you how great they are when they're tweaked, but be aware this will make them less reliable in the long run. People see the isuzu through rose tinted glasses and remember them as much faster than what they were. Don't get me wrong they were good back in the day and a lot better than vauxhall's 1.7 effort, but the Peugeot 306 1.9 hdi in the same tune would muller them every time .

Users who are viewing this thread