Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Diesel engine.... Which is best?

Best answers
Reaction score
Im on my phone at them moment so bit of a pain to search.

As title suggests, which is the best diesel lump in an astra?

cheers

isuzu, more power, and tuneble,

gm - slow, untunable.

cheers reno, just the answer i was looking for :beer:

no problem

also, from a quick glance, how can you tell the difference? sure i remember somthing about engine cover? turbo or something?

I've had both and the non turbo and i would'nt say the vauxhall engines are "slow" just not quite as fast as the isuzu.

izuzu engine has red writing on the top and fuel pump behind the engine, GM engine has white writing i thing and fuel pump infront of the engine!

turbos on the front of the isuzu too, sure its on the back of the GM lump

the isuzu says turbo on it, simples. New car then tom?

astra144.jpg

Isuzu diesel engine. Though not all turbo diesels have Turbo written on the top, some have just diesel, but the writing is black and in the same style as the red Turbo. The earlier versions of this engine have a black plastic plenum type box/intake at the back, where the metal one is in this pic.

Isuzu's seem to be better. Alternators are expensive however... And if that goes, it causes all sorts of issues with the glow plug light... Although, I'm no expert on anything with a diesel engine!!

Isuzu's seem to be better. Alternators are expensive however... And if that goes, it causes all sorts of issues with the glow plug light... Although, I'm no expert on anything with a diesel engine!!

Yes, the Alternator and starter motor are both expensive items to replace on these engines. There are also two types of each as well.
some starters have a nose cone on them others dont
some alternators have a square plug in the side of them for the rev counter and others have a round plug on the back for the rev counter. Both have a vacuum pump on the back for the brake servo

However when my alternator died, it was merely the voltage regulator and it would flatten the battery after a few days, otherwise the glowplugs worked as normal

astra144.jpg

Isuzu diesel engine. Though not all turbo diesels have Turbo written on the top, some have just diesel, but the writing is black and in the same style as the red Turbo. The earlier versions of this engine have a black plastic plenum type box/intake at the back, where the metal one is in this pic.

Yeah its the gm diesels that have diesel written on the top, and iirc the diesel thats written on the gm lumps is embossed whereas on the isuzu ones its a sticker on the vast majority of them

Yeah its the gm diesels that have diesel written on the top, and iirc the diesel thats written on the gm lumps is embossed whereas on the isuzu ones its a sticker on the vast majority of them

GM diesels do have DIESEL written on them in white, and they resemble the look of the 8v petrol engines. However what I was referring to here is that some Turbo Isuzu engines look like the non turbo Isuzu engines due to the Sticker still saying Diesel on it rather than Turbo. Recently there was a GLS TDS (same as mine on ebay) that just had Diesel on the rocker cover, these engines are Turbo'ed though

really? Wow, ive seen a lot of these engines and never seen that. I stand corrected

How quick are the Isuzus? Which models got which engine?

Never tested acceleration on mine. I am pretty sure that the Isuzu engine was fitted to Astra's throughout their life and where also fitted to Nova's. I am pretty sure that they where fitted to most models in the range, from LS up to the CD models. If you are after just the engine, then I know for definite you will find them in the TDS models (mine is a GLS TDS) they where also fitted to Corsa's and Combo vans too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back