Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Driving Tests

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Best answers
Reaction score
Just wondering, as I'll be learning to drive in a year.. how much do driving instructors cost? Are they worth it or can you pass from learning other ways (like mum or dad teaching you or one of the CD things)?

Just want to know if you guys used driving instructors or not. Thanks.

I did a 4 day intensive course, mon-thurs then took test on following monday, cost me 450 in total. If you getting mam or dad to teach ya i think you gotta take couple lessons wit a proper instructor b4 ya can take test. not sure how many.

I went through an instructor 3 years ago and that was ~£17 per hour, I'm sure it's around £20-22 now though.

The only thing you'll learn off of a CD is your theory and hazard perception, I found them very useful - definitely prepares you.

A few of my mates did intensive courses. A good route to go if you really want your license quickly but it's a big lump sum rather than £20 here and there.

Can't remember off hand but too many - I'm very nervous when it comes to tests. Always thought it was recommended between 20-40 hours instruction - but I can't be 100% on that.

I paid for a good intructor. I paid £20 per hour to a guy who lives down the road from me (he now owns a nationwide fanchise business - Lloyds Driving School). Really glad I did pay a bit more as where as my friends were getting taught "How to Pass" I was definately taught "How to drive". He covered so many things, situations, maneuveors (sp?) that are not needed for the test and general driving tips on smoothness etc... It kinda speaks for itself when non of his students have ever failed a test in the time he has been an instructor (6+ years).

The other thing is that he makes you feel very confident and in control. I suppose he knows what to say and how to treat people...I saw him more of a mate than an instructor once I got to know him.

I passed having had 5 lessons, (my 0 minors also backs up what a good instructor he is) and then went onto my pass plus, where I got to do some pace driving & learn about arrow points etc... (not generally included in pass plus?)

Anyway, my point is, don't skimp when it comes to choosing an instructor!

Cheers :) How many lessons did you have then?

on my first test i had 11 lessons 10 learning and 1 before the test and i failed for being to confident (****y got put in for my test after my second lesson) second test on which i passed f*ck knows how?? i had another 10 lessons and 1 before the test so in total for me it was 22 lessons before i passed :nod: but i was luckily enough to start lessons when it was £6 a lesson when booked in bulk so in total for me in just lesson it cost £132 + whatever test fees where cant remember

I had 16 lessons or so in total... first time i failed on perception... even though my instructor always said i was good and thought i was a natural (not my words!), second time i passed fine... i had the chief examiner and he was a harsh marker apparently...

Back to the point, i think my lessonswere 19/20 quid each, and that was about a year and a half ago... but im guessing they will go up with petrol prices tbh...
Also, i wouldnt recommend booking ur test before you know you will pass. It cost me 50 quid for the test (apparently this is going up too to 100 or something) and you gotta pay for ur instructors time...

yea... i hate to say this typical phrase, but welcome to the world of motoring :(

lol yea... unless you fail! :P

But seriously, i considered driving not only as a leasure thing, but as an investment in a skill cos at the end of the day thats what it is... you gotta know how to drive...

i wouldn't recommend an intensive course if you want to gain some experience whilst you're learning. best take a lesson or two first and see how you get along. when i was learning two years ago i started off in a td corsa which was an awful car, you never knew when the turbo would kick in etc etc, then a month later my instructor changed to AA driving school and i was in a new focus. what a brilliant car it practically drives itself, it's big enough to see where you're putting it and i think the controls are spot on. cost £25 a lesson but easily worth the extra few quid (you get a discount for bulk-buying lessons anyway). i think i took 30 odd lessons and i was insured provisionally on my mums car (£150 a year fully comp) which gave me a lot of out-of-lesson experience.
then all you have to do is consider a test centre, ideally one with a high pass rate and one in a locality you are comfortable with, my test centre wasn't the nearest or the highest pass rate one but had nice, wide and empty local roads.

then the test, got a little nervous and thought i had failed about 15mins in but i came out with 6 minors and the examiner suggested that if i'm pulling out in traffic i should 'give it a bit more' on the throttle

i've had 2 friends go with the AA driving school since and both praised the focus.

as for the theory make sure you revise on the computer with the latest CD until you pass nearly all the time, the hazard perception you shouldn't have to worry about if you've had some experience on the roads

Yeah, anywhere from 18-20 quid a lesson was standard wen i was learning (2 1/2 years ago)

I went out with my old man for an hour every day and i passed in a month. I had 7 lessons to get all the technical bits done properly but general driving can be done no problemn with a parent/relative/friend (over 25 or whatever the legal age is to supervise a learner of course ;) )

Yea, i started off in a 1.2 corsa i think, then my instructor switched to the AA, got a 1.6 focus brand new, but week later went with the 1.9 tdi focus... tdi was nice... :P

the corsa was really crappy, and the AA are good... lukily, i got AA standard teaching for my instructor's old price which was nice!

i had to pass my test twice after i lost my license, both times though i went with a proper instructor tho, it was £18 a lesson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back