Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

e5 biofuel anyone used it yet??

Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
179
Reaction score
1
Location
Ireland
any of the c20xe owners used this?? one of the local petrol stations round here is thinkin about getting this in and say it should be the same price as normal unleaded but i havent got a clue about it
i run on superunleaded and it runs great as it is but my mate was saying if this pump gets put in i should run it on that but dont really want to try it and then the engine goes bang, anyone have any experience of it??
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
2,658
Reaction score
1
Location
liverpool
Me and Tom were looking at it, then decided against it as apparantley theres a lot you have to do to your car to allow it to run on e85, other than an ecu remap.
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
2,658
Reaction score
1
Location
liverpool
Taken of interwebz

One is the elimination of bare magnesium, aluminum, and rubber parts in the fuel system. Another is that fuel pumps must be capable of operating with electrically conductive ethanol instead of non-conducting dielectric gasoline fuel. Fuel injection control systems have a wider range of pulse widths to inject approximately 40% more fuel. Stainless steel fuel lines, sometimes lined with plastic, and stainless steel fuel tanks in place of terne fuel tanks are used. In some cases, FFVs use acid-neutralizing motor oil. For vehicles with fuel-tank mounted fuel pumps, additional differences to prevent arcing, as well as flame arrestors positioned in the tank's fill pipe, are also sometimes used.

So, not a massive amount.

You can buy conversion kits complete, but i cant find one for the astra atm
 
Last edited:

Ian

Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
2,378
Reaction score
0
Location
Pontypridd
if its the same price as normal unleaded whats the point, do you get more milage from it?

First i've heard about it
 
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
8,560
Reaction score
0
Location
Redhill Surrey
"For comparison purposes, aggressive driving habits can result in a 20% loss and low tire pressure can reduce mileage by 6%"

"FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 10-15% drop in fuel economy"

that would be me out in a heart beat lol

also costing £300 odd for a conversion kit it would take like at leats a years worth of driving might as well sell your current astra and get £600 odd for it then get a diesel astra for £450 and run it on veg oil @ 70p / litre............ instant profit!!!
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
5,314
Reaction score
18
the main benifit from using E85 is on tuned cars :nod:

because of the high octain level (about 105 compared to 98 odd of super unleaded), and the fact that alcohol (85% ethanol = E85 ;)) burns a lot cooler than normal fuel, its less prone to detonation.

on turbo cars it means you can run higher boost and more aggressive ignition timing without anything melting like it would on normal fuel.

on non turbo cars you can up the compression rating for more power, on normal fuel the limit is about 11:1 but there are people running upto 16:1 on E85 :nod:
 
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
1
Location
Maidstone, Kent
if its the same price as normal unleaded whats the point, do you get more milage from it?

First i've heard about it

Performance can be increased using E85, plus E85 means 85% Ethanol, and Ethanol is a source of renewable energy as opposed to petrol, so it'll be around for longer. The other 15% is petrol, but 15% is a far far smaller number to worry about :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top