Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

EGR valve

roy

Best answers
Reaction score
ive heard about being able to blank off the egr valve, would this make a difference? if so what is the best way to do it?

thanks in advance
roy

yeah GM engines have them and mines playing up and heard you could blank them, so i could just plug one of the vacuum lines? which one?

thanks

Hi Roy - couldn't tell whether you had the GM engine but now I know. There's only one vacuum line to the EGR valve (at least that's how it is on my 1996 X17DTL) so you could stick a plug in that.

I remember I had the car in at a diesel mechanic's garage and he was doing a couple of things. I had taken the EGR valve out and cleaned it, but he pointed out the buildup of crud in the intake manifold and reckoned it was better to disable the EGR valve by just plugging the vacuum line.

It always been quite peppy and run very well, so I didn't notice any difference in performance by disabling the EGR valve. Ideally the intake manifold should have been taken off and properly cleaned, but with the X17DTL that would have required removing the turbo as well and there just wasn't time for that.

One day I'll remove the intake manifold and really clean it out....

Cheers, Paul

BTW - easiest place to plug the line is in the rubber connector bit that conects the EGR valve to the stiffer plastic vacuum line. Just find something suitable to shove down in there and reconnect the rubber bit to the EGR valve for looks. If for some reason you want to put it back the way it was you just have to remove whatever it was you used as a plug...

thanks paul, will get that done in the morning! my intake will probably need to be cleaned too, think ill do that when i have the head of to do the gasket in the distant future!

thanks again
roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back