Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

engine conversion - c20let

Best answers
Reaction score
looking at putting the c20let into my 1.6 16v ecotec (x16xel) astra sport. what kind of price should i be paying for the engine and fitting etc? also would i need seam welding done and all that?

cheers all
matt

prices depends where you go, but id say 2-3k if you go somewhere other than a garage.

No you wont need seam welding, all astra's can handle the power

get a bunch of mates round and do it yourself :) cheapest and best way - may cost u a few beers but hey!!

i was quoted £1k for a v6 if that is any referance?

yeh i got that quote for a v6 mate, i wouldnt be too sure bout doing the transplant coz of vac hoses n looms n stuff, not to good on engine wiring never done it before

give it a go mate, I did mine on my own in 8 days, which included stripping the engine and rebuilding it. I'd also never stripped an engine or removed/installed one before. Is soooooo much easier than you initially think.

i know i wont be able to do the loom, unless its going to plug straight in? been thinking about just modding my engine to an apparent 160bhp?

The loom is a straight swop for 95%, there are a couple that connect to different pins in the three plugs by the ecu so you move them about to colour match, one wire needs cutting and joining to the car loom somewhere for ignition live to the ecu.
Above is based on a gsi so may not be exactly true for your motor.

cousins got a calibra turbo breakin at mo but he wants a grand for engine box and loom or theres a 2 litre ecotec and loom that i removed from cav sri on a m plate 4 £200 if your interested can be fitted for a price or you could try it yourself not a hard job

five main wire to ecu on any vaux green rev couter need that black permanent live go to any black behind dash,brown earth,blue and red fuel injection fuse,black and red ignition and red straight to battery and a presto turn the key and listen to it pur remember the ecu only runs the air and fuel and few other sensors all the other wires under bonnet run things like lights wipers starter motor abs seperate brain

the wiring is a piece of ****, its a colour matching exercise no more no less

AL said:
Throttle Bodies on an X16XEL can push it to more than 160brake with cam's etc - look in to it ;)

the only advantage of doing that, is the weight (or lack of), i'd still rather have the let tbh, plenty of potential and more bhp to £. plus you can get lots of shiny goodies for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back