Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

estate tail lights...

Best answers
Reaction score
Ok, Im doing this again, cos it seems my post never made it to the forum for some reason.

Estate tail lights: Does anyone make alternative ones for mk3?
Ive been looking all over to see if there are any, but Im unable to find any.
They make them for the mk4 estate, and even things like the brava and movano, but nothing it seems for the mk3 estate.

So, Ive actually considered making some from the hella modular sets you can get... any thoughts on that?

Sy

You know, I had considered checking, and I think I actually did once before, but I get the feeling that either there wasnt any last time, or I was putting the wrong wording in to search for.
Found a couple, but think theyre not legal, so dunno...

Cheers anyway mate, Ill keep my eyes open on there.

Edit: Found these - clicky - but dont know if they'd suit being on flame red.
Think theyre more suited to a darker car.

Sy

Last edited:
King^lee has got all black lights like that (hatch versions though) on his car and it flew strait through the MOT no problems and dont think hes ever been stoped iirc

otherwise you could always put a 3rd brake light in the rear window cos then that would have a reflector and make the lights perfectly legal ;)

I saw those, but notice they dont have the red reflector on them, so would they be legal??

Sy

not on their own, no.you would have to by some additional reflectors for an MOT and fit them on the rear of the car.

have you thought about just tinting the standards with spray or covering material?

have a look at Lamin-X, see what you think of that.

Have you checked out german ebay? They're more popular over there for modding

Have to dissapoint you on that one too ... becasue of our strict modding laws, there are just no replacement clusters for the estate (Caravan) here in Germany, you will only find darkened clusters, and even those are technically illegal here.

64c0_1.JPG

these have been sprayed, they just left a trip of tape over the reflector. Still illegal though (over here anyway!)

Last edited:
I had a feeling they were sprayed standard lights.
Hmm.... methinks Im gonna be getting a standard set from a scrappy and having a play about, cos if I knack them up, its no problem, whereas if I do it to the ones Ive currently got, and screw them up, Im stuck til I can get another set.

Im also half tempted to cut open and 'modify' a standard set, be interesting to see if I could...
Cheers anyway guys.

Sy

Keep your eyes open on ebay. You'll find the MHW clear smoke lights come up for sale once in a while
DSCF0603.jpg

MHW stopped making them a few years ago. I enquired about getting another batch made but they said they'd want at least 500 orders before they'd consider that. I kept searching for a while and eventually found a place in Germany selling the last couple of new sets. Cost me about €220 a couple of years ago now. Bit expensive, but worth every penny (or cent lol) IMO :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back