Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Gearbox?

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had this problem for over two years now. At idle when the engine is cold a rumble can sometimes be heard until the engine is warm. The noise goes away when the clutch is pressed down. The symptoms didnt change when i had to change the diff this time last year, so gearbox oil is fairly fresh. There is a knarling sometimes if you accelerate quickly and make it angry.

The car is also a pig to get into lower gears for the first mile in a morning, unless i press the clutch pedal down twice on gear changes?

For the top problem, i'm thinking input shaft bearing. I'm now nearing 200k so is it likely just a symptom of high mileage?

Is the gear problem related?, the linkages are a bit sloppy.

Any ideas, many thanks
Mark

sounds like the clutch release bearing

as above, release bearing is worn

sounds like the clutch release bearing

Wouldnt a worn release bearing start to make a noise when you activate it by pressing the clutch pedal down? My noise disappears when you press the clutch pedal down (input shaft would stop turning at this point) Really hope you guys are right though as that would make things easier for me.

Is it possible to change the input train with the gearbox still in the car as i have an old F20 with a good input shaft?

Noisy release bearings are std fit on a lot of fords, most are quiet when pedal pressed.
tabetha

Is it possible to change the input train with the gearbox still in the car as i have an old F20 with a good input shaft?

you should be able to open 6 bolts at the back of the gear box and pull out the gear cluster in one unit. The main gear box casing can remain bolted to the engine. you will have to lift the gear selector turret from the top of the box too so the cluster can be pulled back. . then Remove the small cover on the back of the gear cluster and you will have access to the back of the input shaft where the circlip is. Tis a while since ive done it now but you should get the idea. .

Hi buddy,

I too have the same issue with mine. It is indeed the input shaft bearings that have worn. Mine get a little bit louder the hotter the driver train gets (engine and gearbox). When hot, I also get a slight knocking noise when the engine is idleing and in neutral.

thanks guys, all comments taken on board. A complete swap would be a pig for me so i'll consider changing the internals. Suppose it would mean taking the diff out too?

thanks guys, all comments taken on board. A complete swap would be a pig for me so i'll consider changing the internals. Suppose it would mean taking the diff out too?
No, your gear internals will come out the way I explained above without having to touch the diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back