Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

grooves...wot way?

Reaction score
just put a set of drilled an grooved discs and greenstuff pads on the front of ma car, which way should they grooves point? ave got them facing forward cos they werent marked as left or right

Reaction score
LOL....

i just put drilled an grooved on mine...... they are ace :D
my grooves point towards the front of the car, an according to the garage i bought em from, (reputable vaux garage) they say this is the right way, BUT in a issue of total vauxhall mag ive got, they were doing a brake upgrade on an omega an they have their dics with the grooves pointing to the back of the car, which they say is the correct way according to a hi-spec rep.......

choice is yours.....

ive left mine facing front as the garage i got mine from also have a few rally cars an they've never given me bad info yet.... :lol:

Reaction score
i had the grooves on my old ones pointing towards the back of the car. every set ive ever seen has been pointing towards the back.

never seen any 'instructions' saying which way to put them on tho :wacko:

Reaction score
girlie-racer said:
BUT in a issue of total vauxhall mag ive got, they were doing a brake upgrade on an omega an they have their dics with the grooves pointing to the back of the car, which they say is the correct way according to a hi-spec rep.......
i saw that too, read some where that one way they work better but make a bit more noise than they would the other way....cant remember which way was which tho lol

Reaction score
Never had groved disks but going by centrifugal force you want the brake dust to be thrown from the disk ... see pic below..

<<<FRONT OF CAR<<<
disk-detail.jpg
>>>FRONT OF CAR>>>

The other way the dust is just drilled to the center of the disk and can glaze up..

Last edited:

Rob

Reaction score
Yeah.. most common way would make sense, as the pads would then push gases and dust outwards via the grooves.

"Backwards" way would cause it to "opposite centrifugal force" in a way, and the pads would grip onto the grooves and (try to) pull the disc inwards, stopping it that way. (Does anyone follow... my theory?)

Reaction score
sorry dont agree with any of that

if your cars kicking off that much brake dust that u have to channel it then theres something very wrong with your brake set up..i.e stupidly soft compund of brake pads .

the advantage of grooved brake discs is to disapate heat more effiecently as the surface area is increased and therefore it doesnt matter which way the grroves face other than for cosmetic reasons.. thats the way i was taught at uni

Reaction score
Reece said:
sorry dont agree with any of that

if your cars kicking off that much brake dust that u have to channel it then theres something very wrong with your brake set up..i.e stupidly soft compund of brake pads .

the advantage of grooved brake discs is to disapate heat more effiecently as the surface area is increased and therefore it doesnt matter which way the grroves face other than for cosmetic reasons.. thats the way i was taught at uni

No it dont mater what way thay face thay still work ..Im no expert

I alway thought the grooves were for deglazing the brake pads , channeling water AWAY from the brake disk and pads , channeling gases and dust AWAY from the disk and pads ? and aswell as the grooves the drilled holes added to disapate some heat more effiecently

in any case I wouldn't want to drill water,gasses,dust against the natural centrifugal force to the center of the disk but thats just me ? Also would the dust etc not just be forced/flung back to the center of the disk by the centrifugal force of the wheel and fowl again ?...

I would say under heavy braking grooved and drilled disks produce a hell of lot more dust and you'll want to fling it away from the disk ..

Last edited:
Reaction score
i see where your coming from but the pads should make a pretty water tight seal anyway,

glazing is generally caused by overheating (same way with clutches) so yer they do reduce glazing as they disapate heat better.

like i say i see where your coming from but i think your making it more complicated than it really is tbh

Reaction score
When a pad glazes up I thought the groves removed/scraped a fine layer of the glazed pad compound off reveling a fresh unglazed surface and not mainlay about removing heat as the small surface area increase thats formed by the groves cant remove that much more heat or can it ?

Reaction score
i dont want the brake dust to be thrown out the way....ma wheels will get covered an al need to clean them more lol

Reaction score
Grooves release the gas build up between disk and pad surface (which causes glazing) and should face backwards ie when rotating the bottom of the groove leads.
For heat removal then drilled disks are the order of the day.

EBC come in N/S and O/S and Dlack Diamond come with a diagram.

How ever on most road applications it ain't going to make a difference othar than people saying they're on backwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread