Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Guide: Differences between Phase 1 and 2 (Picture Heavy)

Best answers
Reaction score
Following on from the previous thread, I've decided to do a list, with pictures of the differences between phase 1 (92-94/95) and phase 2 (94/95-98).

Mirrors:

Phase 1 are a lot squarer and quite similar to Nova Mirrors and Mk2 Mirrors whereas Phase 2 mirrors are very different, a lot more rounded, the difference is obvious:

Phase 1 Mirrors:

216070303_o.jpg

Phase 2 Mirrors:

1ifzt1.jpg

Grilles:

Phase 1 grilles have horizontal slats whereas phase 2 grilles are known as 'V' Grilles as they have silver trim in the shape of a V surprisingly enough!
Phase 1 grilles need phase 1 lights and phase 2 grilles need phase 2 lights, you cannot mix and match and the difference is only very marginal when looking at just the lights...

Phase 1 Grille and Lights:

DSC00100-1.jpg

Phase 2 Grille and Lights:

dd891wq1.jpg

Rieger Grille, can be used with both phase 1 and 2 lights, rarely fits well but possibly the best look on the mk3,

DSC_0020.jpg

Morrettes, unlike most other cars, mk3 Morrettes incorporate the grille too.

P1010661.jpg

Gsi Grille:

26012009167.jpg

Rear Black Panel,
The only phase 1 model that came with the boot panel was the GSi, all phase 2's did.

Panel:

n694445203_4881581_6946.jpg

No Rear Panel:

DSCF1444.jpg

Indicators also vary, all phase 1's apart from GSi's had Ornage Indicators, All Phase 2's had Clear Indicators as well as Phase 1 GSi's,

Orange Indy's:

n694445203_4072274_5701.jpg

Clear:

astra1.jpg

Wheels, There were a fair few sets that came on the Astra, the two most sought after are the Phase 1 GSi 'Fanblades', and the Phase 2 GSi Irmscher Alloys. There were also several others, the most common were 6 spoke, as well as Softstars found on the convertible, and the Astra Sport Alloys

Phase 1 GSi 'Fanblades:

ounotasleepx010.jpg

Phase 2 GSi Irmscher's:

DSC00141.jpg

SoftStars:

4720_41-1.jpg

Sport Alloys:

2145p5c.jpg

Last edited:
The mk3 came in a variety of Engines and a lot of Engine Codes, the most common are the 2.0 XE 'Redtop', the Ecotech Ranges, (1.4-2.0) and the 8v range (1.4-2.0), LET engines (2.0 turbo's) can also be fitted to mk3's but were never standard, originally from Calibra and Cavalier Turbos, 2.5 V6's can also be fitted from Vectra's and Calibra's

Ecotech Engine:

P4180174Small.jpg

'Redtop':

7-1.jpg

8V:

Sa400078.jpg

Bumpers Also Vary, with the most sought after being the GSi Bumper, for the Hatch, there are four main bumpers, standard Ls grey poop, Colour coded, Sport and the GSi, for saloons and Convertibles, there is the TS bumper, which is basically a GSi bumper only for saloons/cabbys

Standard:

n694445203_4072274_5701.jpg

Colour Coded:

astra3.jpg

Sport (Difference between the sport and C/coded bumpers is on C/Coded the black are at the top of the bumper is slightly bigger)
Sport:

PICT0481.jpg

GSi:

DSC00141.jpg

Steering Wheels, there are three main types, the first, came on base models and was a non-airbag (see below)

Image006.jpg

Then there was the GSi 3-spoke which although non-airbag, was far sexier!

interior.jpg

Finally the most common airbag 4-spoke wheel, Isn't going to win any awards for style but could save your life

P4180173Small.jpg

As well as the above standards, a Corsa B steering wheel will also fit and its a relatively straight swap as it uses the same Boss, however, it can lead to the Airbag light coming on, but can be turned off of course!

dscf5795kr3.jpg

Spoilers,
There are 4 main spoilers, standard base model, in black, debatable if you can even call it a spoiler, the sport spoiler, phase 1 GSi Spoiler, and the Phase 2 GSi spoiler,

Base Model Spoiler:

04122008022.jpg

Sport Spoiler:

car4.jpg

Phase 1 GSi Spoiler:

14102007343nj1.jpg

Phase 2 GSi Spoiler:

12102008_003-1.jpg

There are other differences too, some I can't see, but if someone could add to this list the differences from the list below:

Interior
door handles,
loom connectors
, e/w and c/l motors,
gearknobs,
rear lights,
side strips,
gear knob
basic models, roof aerial

Equally if you think I've written/posted something wrong, please PM me so I can change it!

Last edited:
nice work there :) should be a sticky i think

Yeah Sure Matt thats fine, needs a bit fo stuff adding though

Being new to the mk3, this is a really useful thread, thanks KROW. Also thanks for being so helpful and friendly with info about the rarity of my cabby the first night I was on the site, really makes a difference if you're a first timer to a club!

Your welcome Barbara, that's what were here for (am jealous of your leather though),
Dan, thanks, duly updated..

quiet a rare on people don;t know, early astras only had 3 fan speed where as later (late 93 >) had 4 interior fan speeds

the phase 1 cesaro had different alloys to the rest aswell

I know mines a phase 2 but unsure on other categories, its a 1.4 LS 8v but i think it has the sport bumpers, i dont see my alloys on your pics so not sure about them, cant tell if i have the base model spoiler or the sport spoiler and other stuff about the car

Picture013-1.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

It depends what trim it is? The guide is only an outline really, there are that many different models and special editions, it 's impossible to get it right for each car, those alloys are really common, came on most models bar the base models, I can't see your spoiler enough to tell I'm afraid

think ive found another difference between ph1 and ph2 with the bumpers on the ph2 gls models you get the c/c bumpers but on the ph1 you get grey/black

Users who are viewing this thread

Back