Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Headgasket or Condensation?

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Best answers
Reaction score
Just been playing with my 1.6 8v, cleaned the plugs till i can get new, took off the univeral cone and put the normal airbox back on, on checking the oil there is mayo on the dipstick and under the cap. However, there is no coolant loss i can see, and it starts and pulls well. The oil cap is a really bad fit, and leaks a small amount of oil, could this be letting in water? Be really ****ed off if the gaskets gone, not long had it. Cheers!!!

mayo under the cap does not mean that the h/g has gone, it's condensation..........Short runs will produce it. Cleaan off the cap. Give the car a good run for at least 20 mile, so it gets to normal operating temp. Then when you get back home, have another look under the cap...I expect it will be clear of mayo.
You can always go to your local garage and get them to do a sniff test, cheaper than changing your h/g for nothing.
Phil.

Car can't be moved at the mo, no tax/mot and a prob with brakes. I'm going to change oil/filter and cap, run it for half hour or so.

All 8v's are the same. Head gasket was done on mine 18 months ago, oil and filter 6 months ago. Even with a long run it doesn't clear up. But it doesn't use any oil or water. It's condensation, nothing to worry about.

Cool, cheers. I thought it was usual under the filler but more serious when it was on the dipstick.

Cool. Its been stood for a few months anyway, and as said the oil cap doesnt fit properly, and god knows last time it was serviced. The guy who had it before my brother didint wash it in 3 years and covered around 45,000 miles in that time lol

Cool. Its been stood for a few months anyway, and as said the oil cap doesnt fit properly, and god knows last time it was serviced. The guy who had it before my brother didint wash it in 3 years and covered around 45,000 miles in that time lol

i told you that i put a tenners petrol in an left it runnin for over a hour an it all cleared up!!!

whilst it is common on these cars, I would not just leave it,
monitor the situation, good runs, clean the mayo, do an oil and water change

confirm with a sniffer test

mine ENDED up by HGF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back