Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Help Needed To Find 2 x Fuses C18XE.

myastra

Club Member
Reaction score
I need to carry out a compression check on cylinders as car is starting to burn some oil.
Mk3 1.8i 16v C18XE.(1994)
I am having trouble finding fuses for the Fuel Pump and also Ignition Coil to make car safe while turning engine over with plugs out.
Can anyone help with there location ?

myastra

Club Member
Reaction score
I think it is Fuse No2 20A for the fuel pump on the fuseboard under the steering wheel. I believe the fuel pump relay is behind the drivers side kick panel. Still not sure about isolating the ignition coil unless i pull the ht lead off. If anyone can confirm the above that would be helpful.

Andy

Member of Honour
Reaction score
I think it is Fuse No2 20A for the fuel pump on the fuseboard under the steering wheel. I believe the fuel pump relay is behind the drivers side kick panel.
Yes on both counts. The pump relay is a big black one that’s clipped to a plastic frame.

Still not sure about isolating the ignition coil unless i pull the ht lead off. If anyone can confirm the above that would be helpful.
If you’re going to pull the plugs off to check the compression, then you could just move them to the side (make sure they aren’t going to arc against anything). But to be 100% safe I‘d unplug the coil from the big plug on the back as well.

Reaction score
I am having my c18xe checked beings it is out the car, crank ok just having a polish and new shells, bores on top limit so having a re-bore and new pistons/ rings. Engine has done 100k, I will put new followers in beings it is stripped and valve guides.

myastra

Club Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replys. Is it o.k just to remove the fuel pump fuse to isolate the fuel pump operation while carrying out a compression test ?

Andy

Member of Honour
Reaction score
Yeah. Or you could lift up the rear seat and disconnect the plug to the pump if you want to be REALLY sure, but you should be fine with just the fuse.

myastra

Club Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I removed just the Fuel Pump Fuse (Fuse No2) on fuseboard and as advised took the plug off at the back of the coil. All isolated when i turned the engine over.

Reaction score
Even easier, just unplug the crank sensor as that'll stop the fuel injectors squirting gogo juice and the coil from creating mini lightening without the thunder. Don't forget to do WOT (Wide Open Throttle) when doing a compression test otherwise you might not get the results you're expecting as it'll struggler to suck the required air volume into the cylinders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)