Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Home Made Stealth Shelf

Best answers
Reaction score
Right, so I couldn't sleep the other night so I started planning a home made stealth shelf for my 6x9s.

Basically this is just a basic plan, and I wanted to know if there's anything wrong with it??

I've drawn up a few diagrams on trusty ol' paint!

OK, so I have 2 boards of MDF. I cut one like this,

ss1.jpg

...and one like this,

ss2.jpg

Then with a bit of no more nails, I get this,

ss3.jpg

From above kinda like this,

ss4.jpg

Get it all carpeted.

And then to cover up the speakers,

ss5.jpg

I can use them, and when not covering the speakers they can sit in the recess in the middle of the shelf.

So, will this work? Ish?

As somewhere to mount your 6x9's, yeah, it'll work. But unless it's going to fit under your OE parcel shelf, it's not stealth at all.

Doesn't make any difference i wouldn't have thought - it'll look out of place, stealth shelves usually do, and you run the risk of attracting more annetion because any potential thives might think you trying to hard to hide something - and are therefore more likely to try and find out what.

To be worth doing, a stealth shelf should really utilise the OE shelf, or at least be made to look like it.

That's just my opinion though, other will undoubtedly disagree.

But for what it's worth, i'll be installing 2 subs into my saloon shelf over the winter, and wont me making any effort to hide them.

Yeah. You're probably right. Apparently the standard shelfs are useless and sink really easily. I've got mine from a scrappy because the previous owner put speakers in it and it sunk. Also I have a black interior but my parcel shelf is light grey.

So, as a challenge I may try and build this.

Nothing to loose... well £100 worth of speakers but yeah....

Yeah. You're probably right. Apparently the standard shelfs are useless and sink really easily. I've got mine from a scrappy because the previous owner put speakers in it and it sunk. Also I have a black interior but my parcel shelf is light grey.

So, as a challenge I may try and build this.

Nothing to loose... well £100 worth of speakers but yeah....

Try attaching some MDF to the bottom that rests on the same place the shelf does, that'll stop it sagging

That thing you designed is gonna be really really heavy. I did it a different way.

Made a normal MDF shelf, fitted the speakers flush, then covered it with audio cloth. lightweight and stealth.

Now i did it even different, took the speakers out the back and put a normal shelf in. I am a converted "front" man, with no speakers in the back other than the sub in the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back