Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

how many mpg do you get from 1.7 diesel?

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a 1.7 low blow gm estate.

I bought it because I fort they was super cheap to run, which it is but......

Diesel prices round my ends are between £1.13 - £1.18, Putting 20 bucks in my tank only gets me 140 miles,

However my calibra xe gets 100 miles to 20 bucks petrol? I know its another 40 miles, But I thought it would have been more?? what do you guys get?

Cheers

Joker

about the same mate, but i have a heavy foot and upped fuel and boost. A full service will help, and believe it or not taking it out for half an hour and ragging the crap out of it once every couple of months helps too. Change gear at lower revs and let the low down grunt build the speed up rather than using more pedal

im getting about 300ish miles per £40 so you're not doing too bad, i would do as mr moran suggested and give it a service - plugs, oil and filters should see slightly better returns

what do you drive like?

my gear changes by mph are 1st - 15mph, 2nd - 25mph, 3rd - 40mph about town ive found this to be best for still getting about reasonably quickly but also returning reasonable fuel consumption though going up hill drasticly changes these lol 30mph in 3rd can soon see you rolling back down the hill :lol:

and also as mr moran said a good booting does wonders i find in second up to the limiter can push out a good ammount of crap lol

i ve got one of the gm turbo engines in my estate aswell , im getting 85 - 90 miles out of a tenner at the minute ( £1.12 - £1.14 ) but im mostly on dual carrigeways , round town is a little worse maybe 75 - 80 miles and lead right foot is 50 miles !!
try a service and some injector cleaner , made mine totaly diffrent car to drive

well yeah, I've had the car about 3 weeks now, It's had a good run and feels a bit more pokier than when I first got it, I'll whip out the service next week and see what I get, I have to down gear up some hills >.< I do miss my calibra xe! Think of the cheapness haha

And I have a heavy foot at times, but don't absolutely thrash the pants off it, Thats just silly. as for what speed in each gear I dunno, haven't really thought about it.

It's a 1.7 slow machine, It looks pimp though so Speed isn't everything haha

Cheers for the input peeps, I just expected to get more mpg, with these fuel prices goin sky high It's becoming a joke!

Joker

forgot to say also, it really does depend on where your driving. I did a round trip to manchester and got well over 500 miles to a tank whereas delivering takeaways locally i barely get 300. Diesels are not great for short trips about town, your actually better off in town with a small petrol engine. Let me know what sort of driving you do as this could show if you have a problem with the car etc

injector cleaner? Now this might sound dumb but I didn't think the derv's had injectors, only glow plugs >.< I'm so gunna get spanked for that silly answer!

I drive round town and mostly A roads matey. Abit of by pass anywhere really I drive round just for fun most days haha

Joker

dont worry i knew feck all about diesel engines till i got one , when i serviced mine i replaced the fuel filter and filled it with injector clener , the sh*t that come out was suprising !!! but its not recommended you do that too often , usually you pour it in the tank and then fill up

erm yeah they have injectors, they have to or the engine wouldnt work because of the pressures involved. Diesel injectors are a lot more powerful than petrol ones.

Next time you get an excuse to, do a decent trip on the motorway and hold a steady 70, then see what mileage you get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back