Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

How to reinforce firewall and rack and pinion mounting in rally astra

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm owner of 1995 astra rally car and I'm wondering if it's necessary to reinforce mountings of rack and pinion. I know that in older Astras/Kadett (mk2 i think) it was weak point. If so how to do this properly. Mayby someone has got some photos of that part.

AndyB-Redtop

Club Member
Reaction score
Hello mate, I have made a modification to my steering rack by fitting poly-bushes and fabricated a brace to support the rack, If you go to PAGE 8 on my build diary, you'll see what i mean. I got this idea from another person who fabricated one for their Astra, I'm sure i found it in someone's diary, and thought to give it a go myself. I cannot say or prove if it's made any difference to be honest, but I'm sure it will provide some sort of support, the steering racks on many old Vauxhalls have a tendency to twist and flex under heavy load. I believe that SAAB do actually make steering rack braces, be worth you searching. The poly bushes are from strong-flex. If you buy, be aware that there are 2 different sizes to choose from as there were 2 different type's of steering racks fitted to the Mk3 as i understand...

11CD57F8-C502-453C-910B-7B900E56B1A8.jpeg

F5898098-52FF-4C13-9865-270C7A34AC7D.jpeg

4CCCF061-3E21-4D9A-82C2-95D34FAB2877.jpeg

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
More progress!

After discussing a few things with certain people and knowledge of these old vauxhalls, i decided the engine bay needed a good going over for cracks and rust, but also, the steering rack mounts need some attention! So i decided to have a think.

The drivers side design of the mount already meets the bulkhead, so this is ok.

but the passenger side is just a stand alone mount stuck on the bulkead, so after checking for cracks, none to be found, i made a brace for it... just a note, this is seriously over kill :lol: but it what i had left from the chassis strengthening haha.

the shape is actually very complex, took hours to make! Last thing i did was run a weld round the end of it to make it a tigher fit,

primed and painted behind where it is going to go to stop rust etc

hammered it in the gap, did some heavy welds with a mate on the inside of the car with a wet rag! These welds i gound back cause i want it to look OE and its on display

Job done!

Next, mounts for the boost solenoid, which was always cable tied in place for year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)