Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Intercooler on gsi

Paul

B&
Best answers
Reaction score
Thinking about getting this intercooler for my turbo (when time is right)

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0013&product=FMINT104

One im wanting is type04, Checked the sizes and they seem spot on, any idea if my car would suit this? Theres also a stupid PAS pipe that just comes round the front of the kick panel and then stops half way and turns back on its self, whats the deal in that? dont think id get one of the outlet pipes from the IC past it to the TB.. Would it be best replacing the c20let rad with a c20xe one? Not sure if that would free up anyspace at all

The other thing ive been thinking about is the oil cooler, im going to have to move it prob behind grill... Would this seem correct ?

:beer:

Just a little background, Ive got a old 91 cally bottom end im going to rebuild with loads of uprated parts, i wouldnt mind aim'in for around 300bhp. Dont want to take it any higher than that, should be within my price range and in a safe margin for the let.

The other thing i dont want is much lag... wouldnt i be better running that IC than say a 8.1lt one? The forge one seems to be perfect size to see through my bumper :D

Is now a good time for me to air my views on Intercooling Vs Charge cooling??? lmao :lol:

If you can get it to fit and look factory fitted then it will be spot on, not a fan of in ya face I/C's function or not. Theres plenty of bumper to cut away to fit it so you shouldnt have any problems.

nickyboy said:
If you can get it to fit and look factory fitted then it will be spot on, not a fan of in ya face I/C's function or not. Theres plenty of bumper to cut away to fit it so you shouldnt have any problems.

Ive cut most of the bumper away anyways (big mouthed) and the depth of the IC from forge is spot on. So wont have any problems fitting it behind the bumper.

Im gonna leave uprated IC till i build and install a new LET (next wee project while im cruising around in my car) Handy haven a spare 1or2 XE bottom ends ;)

Gonna be fun anyroads.

If you simply cant resist the lure of a big FMIC, then definatly do the "big-mouth" conversion. The extra air will be needed to help keep the rad sweet.

Dave BBT

already done :p

S4010090.JPG

hey ben,

Yeah I thought it might be there to cool it down in some way, only thing that i thought it might cause a problem is getting the outlet of the IC back into the engine bay.

Im guessing ill need to remove old IC and center the rad, correct?

Cheers m8

You can actually remove the power steering cooling pipes that run across the front of a astra gsi without doing any harm. Doesn't affect mine at all with it removed. They go rusty and leak eventually as well. If you want to cool the fluid, put a oil cooler in the RETURN line back to the reservoir cause u can use barbed fittings and jubilee clips.Not under any pressure there you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back