Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Intermittent EML

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post, so go easy. Hope everyone is okay. I have a slight issue with my MK3 Astra. The EML comes on usually at a high speed but then turns off below 30MPH. It's a 1993, - C14SE. I'm a but stumped so any advise or possible solution would be great! Thank you

Reaction score
Update: The car now (sometimes) struggles to start. When this happens, I need to push the accelerator to keep the revs up. It will then eventually stay on with no added acceleration.

Reaction score
44 Oxygen circuit - voltage low (weak mixture)

This seems a bit weird. I'm getting a fuely smell in the cabin and terrible MPG, wouldn't that indicate a rich mixture?

Just done it, it seems to be throwing up 44 (Paperclip Test)

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you either have a vacuum leak or a bad sensor such as the coolant temperature sensor.

A vacuum leak will draw in extra air which makes it run lean, so the ECU will inject extra fuel to try and keep the mixture right. Or if something like the coolant temp sensor is bad that can heavily affect the fuelling too.

Reaction score
It sounds like you either have a vacuum leak or a bad sensor such as the coolant temperature sensor.

A vacuum leak will draw in extra air which makes it run lean, so the ECU will inject extra fuel to try and keep the mixture right. Or if something like the coolant temp sensor is bad that can heavily affect the fuelling too.
Thanks for the reply! How would I know if my CTS is shot?

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! How would I know if my CTS is shot?

You can check it with a multimeter, check how many ohms are across it. I don't have the readings it should be to hand, but I'd imagine a but of Googling you should soon find it.

With the vacuum leak, you can spray brake cleaner or carb cleaner around the inlet manifold and see if the revs pick up while you do it.

Reaction score
Ideal! Will do that in the morning! Recently bought this car back after selling it two years ago! Missed it like crazy, previous owner obviously neglected it a little, had quite a bit to do so far, hopefully this isn't a big obstacle to overcome

Reaction score
Fingers crossed! Yeah it's served me well, only 60k on the clock so far so hopefully it's still got a long life ahead of it! Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Reaction score
Quick update - After playing around a bit, I noticed my MAP sensor hissing? I presume this isn't normal but would just like some clarification if possible?

Reaction score
Hey all, firstly thank you for your help! Much appreciated. I managed to fix my car and the Astra now runs like a dream! Turns out to be the Lambda sensor. As soon as I changed it I noticed a difference straight away.

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back and telling everyone what your fix was, people often dont do that in forums

Users who are viewing this thread